Built in kitchen extractor into custom canopy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldeneyedmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm building a canopy over a "range style electric cooker" in a kitchen I'm installing soon. I've been looking at this integrated type with the mesh over the fan here, and then saw that it may be a better idea to have the fan activated from nearer to the worktop, with a separate switch, so using something like this here, as the electricians haven't finished up yet I can get them to stick a switch on the side of the false wall/ leg that I'm building as part of the canopy.

It's not a million miles from this image I quickly grabbed from google, just for reference:
image-3.jpeg

They haven't actually got any planning permission, so building regs don't need to be followed to the letter, just common sense that the fan will shift enough air from where it is placed. It will be a similar distance from the worktop as the above image so I'm assuming it's going to be sound.

But with the second type of fan I linked to there obviously is no mesh to stop the fan getting all greased up from cooking vapours, do folk think this will be much of an issue? I can buy a separate mesh grille from ebay or similar and install that in front if need be, might be better for looks as well. Leaning over a range and pressing the button on the first, mesh type extractor will, I imagine, be a bit of a stretch.

Hope that's all clear, any help is much appreciated. Cheers _Dan

The first link is for an extractor hood. The switches and lights are at the front, not the back.

From the picture, there appears to be nowhere for the air to circulate back into the room. If so, then the hood is useless.
If that is an outside wall and the hood can be ducted out through the wall, thats fine. But those switches dead centre will get hot, so its not a good design.

Thats a very big range. if all burners are on at the same time you will need very good ventilation or the people will die.
A normal domestic gas cooker (4 top burners and the oven) doesnt need extraction in a kitchen that size, as its deemed to have enough air flow from the rest of the house. That thing in your kitchen is two cookers in one. you should consult a gas registered fitter on the required extraction (I'm 5 years out of date now).

The little wall fan is completely inadequate for that sized cooker.

goldeneyedmonkey":3nn3g0rg said:
.......they haven't actually got any planning permission, so building regs don't need to be followed .......

One does not follow from the other. Planning Permission and Building Regs are entirely separate things.

sunnybob":86p0wnl5 said:
The first link is for an extractor hood. The switches and lights are at the front, not the back.

From the picture, there appears to be nowhere for the air to circulate back into the room.

The switches are actually on the underside, so you can get to them when it's installed. Sorry, I wasn't specific enough re where it was being placed. It is on an outside wall and it is being ducted outside.

And again, my fault for not describing it properly, it's an electric "range style" cooker (edited now), I just used that photo for purposes of scale as to what was being built.

I was more looking for guidance on how effective they would be on clearing water vapour and cooking smells.

Cheers _Dan

MikeG.":2jw3jl82 said:
goldeneyedmonkey":2jw3jl82 said:
.......they haven't actually got any planning permission, so building regs don't need to be followed .......

One does not follow from the other. Planning Permission and Building Regs are entirely separate things.

Yeah fully appreciate what you're saying, meant to highlight the fact that building inspector hasn't and won't be round.

Cheers _Dan

lesson for the future.. show a more accurate pic (hammer) (hammer)
If its electric, then most of the problems disappear.

But, using that hood pictured, obviously the switches will be on the front forward lower edge. They will get hot. Its not a good design.

Extractor hoods ducted to outside are VERY effective in removing heat and smells. One point to make about the outside wall, dont fit the outlet near a wall corner as the wind will whip back in. If its very exposed, fit a rain cover over the outlet.

sunnybob":2h48eh6q said:
lesson for the future.. show a more accurate pic (hammer) (hammer)
- :lol: yep, long day and posting while in the middle of something else.

sunnybob":2h48eh6q said:
One point to make about the outside wall, dont fit the outlet near a wall corner as the wind will whip back in. If its very exposed, fit a rain cover over the outlet.
Yeah no worries on that front, smack bang in the middle.

Note your point on the switches getting hot, not thought about that. Thanks.

Cheers _Dan

Back