Building your own.....(computer that is!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Built your own computer before?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
sawdustalley":1uib7tu3 said:
Interesting, I will now think twice and ask a few people about this.

Must admit, since i've been using XP - I've had not 1 BSOD :D

BSOD's are not that common if your system is stable - what I meant is that a damaged memory module could cause one....therefore, it's not just the damage to hardware that you have to consider.

At the very least I'd recommend using the wrist straps that often come free with the more major components (motherboards, graphics cards etc.).

Cheers,
Martin

HandyMac,

I bow to your obvious skill and expertise in these matters :) (myself being a tinkerer, who knows a few things but is by no means an expert). I must confess I was not aware of the potential issues, but I suppose it's all logical when you think about it.

From your description, I assume I'm safe in my method so long as I'm earthed to the PC, and the PC is plugged in (since the case + me are then at Earth Potential ?). What I don't understand is why it's important to put the bits in the case IF (and only if) you have a mat work on. That is, if you're earthed to the same potential as the case etc. that the components will go into, and the components are on a plastic mat (which is non-conductive), surely you + the case + the components are all at the same potential? Or maybe not - how do you ensure you get to the same potential as the components if they've come from a static bag? Do you earth them to the case as well?

Actually my brother used to be a service engineer for HP many years ago - perhaps you know him (see my PM). That was where I picked up my limited knowledge of static issues. Actually he once told me exactly the same thing - that static really is one of the biggest causes of component failure (and therefore expense in terms of servicing) and they therefore took it extremely seriously.

Cheers,
Martin.

P.S. SDA - sorry - we seem to have hijacked your thread into a discussion about static precautions. Hopefully still of use however...

Back