BUILDING WITH SIPS - ANYONE ANY EXPERIENCE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be interested to know which route you went Lazurus, I'm looking to also build a SIP workshop.
I don't know if this might help, but I made this a couple of years ago to be our gym using all SIP panels:

1646206153534.png

I designed it and then got a company to cut the panels then built it myself.

SIP panels for the floor, sides, back and roof.

We are in the New Forest National Park and planning is a total c4nt so we were limited by the 2.5m height restriction.

When ompleted, I also designed and built the power rack but to make it work for both my height and the available internal height I had to scrape literally every last mm in height.

I axtually saved some height by cutting out the turf and taking it down a few inches, leaving an air gap all round the building.

But, not wanting to use a concrete base for eco hippy reasons, I found these:
EasyPads - The easy-to-use foundation system for modular buildings

and mounted it on wooden beams. Saved tonnes of concrete and meant minimal spoil removal so very quick to do and perfectly leveled in minutes.

For the ceiling, I planed down the battens to save about 8mm and used really shallow LED lights set inside.

For the floor covering, I used the thinnest solid rubber matting for horse boxes I could find rather than the full thickness, saving another few mm, but still handy for (hopefully not) dropping weights.

The upshot was the power rack was built to within 2mm of the ceiling so I can get full length pull downs but when doing pullups, I made a lowered bar at the front so I can get my head over it but I still need my knees bent.

Works brilliantly though and really pleased with the building and the kit inside now.

Also, putting down the floor, walls and roof in a weekend was fantastic - it only took this long because I had to buttocks about putting solid aluminium sheets on the back wall to protect it from the dreadful hedge coming through from next door. All vented and will never need maintenance which is handy as precisely zero access along the back.

I get on the roof to cut the hedge but for easy clearing put in a waist height ally tray connected the hedge all the way along the back so rubbish can be scooped out easily. In the pick you can see the green plastic voer on the ally sheet I screwed into the crappy fencing to manage the hedge. This was left on both sides as it helps it blend through the hedge for our neighbours.

The only tricky bit was lifting the 6.5m back wall up as it was all in one piece - it had to pop onto the screwed down connector block along the length that the OSB panels sit either side off. This block does stop it slipping back into the hedge which is great and 4 of us did it fairly easily even with the extra weight of the ally sheeting.

We have now installed an air source heater / cooler at the end in the pic which is awesome. Freezes it down in summer and only needs heating for a few minutes in the winter with the incredible insulation. Really happy with this and it runs off our solar so basically free to run either way.

To sum up, I cannot recommend SIP enough and would have used it on my recent workshop if I wasn't so incredibly limited for space (mainly width).

Certainly, if we ever build a house from scratch will be SIP and oak frame all the way.

Hope this might help?

Last edited:
when you say its all vented, what do you mean - the roof? Not heard of anybody doing a vented roof with SIPS so would be interested to hear about it if you have
Martin

when you say its all vented, what do you mean - the roof? Not heard of anybody doing a vented roof with SIPS so would be interested to hear about it if you have
Martin
I I meant the 8*4 ally protection sheets fixed all along the back wall on the outside - they are all mounted on battens for ventilation in case of any condensation build up.

Massive intrusive growth from that poxy hedge had basically destroyed the rubbish old summerhouse that was there when we moved in, so I wanted to make sure that it couldn't cause any long term damage to the building.

The ally panels attached to the fence stop low growth then the panels actually on the building have kept it nicely clear of dung build up.

Hi folks. Hope someone can help. I'm starting a garden workshop build in early april using sips from Premier Sips in Lichfield. I'm just using them for the walls but not in a precut kit form so I'm sourcing all the timber splines and fixings etc. What bothers me is that the insulation thickness in the panels is 100mm but treated sawn timber generally finishes at around 95mm so it's going to be a loose fit. Is this a problem in any way? I know that expanding foam is used which will hopefully fill any gaps but I imagine for the panels to line up correctly they'll need to be fastened at one side first leaving a 5mm gap on the other side. Seems like quite a big gap. Am I worried over nothing? Never done anything like this before so excuse my ignorance 🙂

Hi folks. Hope someone can help. I'm starting a garden workshop build in early april using sips from Premier Sips in Lichfield. I'm just using them for the walls but not in a precut kit form so I'm sourcing all the timber splines and fixings etc. What bothers me is that the insulation thickness in the panels is 100mm but treated sawn timber generally finishes at around 95mm so it's going to be a loose fit. Is this a problem in any way? I know that expanding foam is used which will hopefully fill any gaps but I imagine for the panels to line up correctly they'll need to be fastened at one side first leaving a 5mm gap on the other side. Seems like quite a big gap. Am I worried over nothing? Never done anything like this before so excuse my ignorance 🙂
Could you rip up 5.5mm plywood???

Thought about cutting some packers. Just don't know if I'm being a bit over the top. Thanks for the idea though. Appreciated

Thanks for that. Yep I've got some of the insulated sips splines but you can't use them around windows, doors or for top/bottom plates. I was just concerned about the gap with the timber splines but I reckon I'll just cut some 5mm packers as suggested earlier. I'm probably over thinking it because I'm trying to keep to a pretty tight budget and I've no experience of using sips.

Could you not get them to supply top and bottom plates?

Otherwise get sawn 4x2 etc as it's thicker than planed 4x2.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know which route you went Lazurus, I'm looking to also build a SIP workshop.

Stuart ... Have you had a look at The Restoration Couple on YOUTUBE ? They have a series of short videos on building a workshop in their garden out of SIPS (metal surfaced) around a wooden frame structure. He goes through all the costs at the end too. Great guy, I recommend watching his build.

In the end I opted for traditional brick and block, after lots of quotes and estimates it was apparent that for my build sips worked out very expensive. Then add cladding wrap etc it became a lot more expensive than the more traditional route. I used super span trusses for the roof finished with osb sheets and EPDM covering - as an aside I was quoted £5k to have the rubber done by a roofer, purchased all I needed for £1200 and did it myself over two days, and that included fitting a 3m x 1m roof light. I am now fitting out the inside with just the drainage and soak away to complete. Very pleased with it now. SIPS were and are a great product but just didn't work out for me in this instance.

Attachments

• opening2.jpg
    opening2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 28
  • DOOR.jpg
    DOOR.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DPM1.jpg
    DPM1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 29
  • OSB.jpg
    OSB.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 30
  • cabinets.jpg
    cabinets.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thought about cutting some packers. Just don't know if I'm being a bit over the top. Thanks for the idea though. Appreciated

Take a look at SuperSIPs. They also sell the timber splines at stated width of 100mm. You could check if they are actually selling the nominal 95mm ones or are actually milling down larger size to 100mm

Might be a stupid idea, but is it worth checking that the SIPS are definitely exactly 100mm before finding a spline solution? I wouldn't be surprised if they were just labelled as 100mm sips bit were perhaps in fact 95mm or whatever and designed to work with normal construction timber sizes.
Worth checking that first I reckon 🙂
Martin

We have now installed an air source heater / cooler at the end in the pic which is awesome. Freezes it down in summer and only needs heating for a few minutes in the winter with the incredible insulation

Id very interested in knowing what make / model you used -Ive got a garden cabin (itsa bout 4.5m x 4.5m ) which Ive been thinking about putting in one of these things in

Fantastic. Let us know how you go o
Ok so Supersips supply nominal sized timber so a bit smaller. I guess there's no problem then. Thanks loads for everyone's input

Fantastic. Well let us know how you get on and whether you use 5mm packers or just go with the expanding foam

OK I give in. I’ve read through the thread and, interesting as it is, I’ve still no idea what SIPS is/are/stands for. I know, I know, I know it’s obvious - but I’m stumped. Help please.

Back