Building New Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jokerman

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just moved house from one with a 20X10 brick workshop (garage but never seen a car) I am about to undertake building myself a workshop in the yard of my mining village mid-terrace on a very tight budget. Don't want to scrimp but money is a consideration and I intend to use recycled/reclaimed materials where possible. Just at the planning stage at the moment but intend to get started within the next two weeks. The house itself will just have to wait for attention until my kit is properly laid out in a well lit, dry and secure area. Any advice from forum members who have had a similar experiences or who could advise on how to avoid mistakes would be much appreciated. I feel this is about to become an ongoing saga, so watch this space.
hh

hh

Presumably you'll be coming under Building Regs as it will be a permanent structure?

That means that they will be 'switched on' to what you're doing and so you'll be one of the first on the forum who will have to make sure that the electrics are done under Part P :cry: So you'll need to budget for that little extra unfortunately.

Velux in the roof for ventilation/light? I wish I had one (still can but too many other things to do)

HH,

Although I obviously do not know exactly what type of materials you intend to use, from the description of your situation it might be helpful, at the planning stage, to consider some form of noise insulation . FWIW.

Cheers,

Trev.

Roger,
Fortunately one of the first jobs I need to do is fit a new consumer unit in the house from which I propose to run cables for power & light to a seperate smaller unit to feed workshop needs. a registered Sparky friend is doing that for me at "mates rates". For the roof I propose to use wall plates and a 2 or 3 wall poly sheeting so should be no problem with light. Another friend is a double glazer who is going to supply me with windows removed from properties having new units fitted - amazing what some people are preposing to put in the skip - I can build the wall to suit the windows he gets for me and that should take care of ventilation. I have a home built dust extraction system which will get fitted when I decide where to site equipment which will also go a long way to offering comfort.
I'll certainly keep forum advised of any problems I encounter along the way.
Thanks for the reply.
hh

Thanks for the tip. I'm already thinking about that and propose to use solid insulation material on the one adjoining wall which is 18in. thick brick. That together with being very friendly to my new neighbour and perhaps offering to see him right with any minor jobs he may need doing.
hh

heanorhorse":352pmrcj said:
For the roof I propose to use wall plates and a 2 or 3 wall poly sheeting so should be no problem with light.
Too right. However you might have trouble with heat. My w'shop has triple wall poly and it gets mighty hot in the summer; just fwiw. On the other hand all that light makes windows unnecessary; better for security, more wall space for storage and you won't get distracted gazing out of them... :wink: But then again, if they're free, it's going to make building the walls an awful lot cheaper. :D

Cheers, Alf

Up until now my sawdust making activities have been confined to garages, the last few years being in a 18' square brick built 2 car affair with a gable roof etc.

My first job with the latest was to plasterboard the ceiling so that I could insulate it. Next was to be to stud and dry line the walls with 2" of rockwool. Then finally the slab, this acts as a huge heat sink and will, if left untreated soak up the heat saved by the other insulating measures.

My biggest regrets have been the lack of natural light, especially in the summer, and standing on a concrete floor. Oh and I've always wanted a wood burning stove for all the offcuts!

The Mrs has just talked me into moving to a smaller house that just happens to have a triple garage, with lots of secure windows and on a plot that would make a stove a goer, so I'm quite chuffed :D Just got to start all over again with the insulation etc :(

Back