Building a workshop!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Woodpecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this is the right section to put this....

A little while ago i built what was going to be my workshop, complete with router table, workbenches etc.
I hadn't even finished the project when the family decided to hijack the workshop for use as a gym!

Eager to crack on with some woodwork and no room left in the garden to build another shed anyway, the only alternative was to move into an old summer house which is pretty small, 7' x 7' max and octagon shaped, so i would need to be quite creative in it's design!

To be honest, i quite like the way it's working out and i'm pleased i had to move into it but it's definitely a challenge, especially when i keep moving the goal posts....i was pretty much set to go when i decided i wanted to incorporate a bench saw into the worktop as well as the router, meaning i had to re-configure the whole layout.

I scrapped the original router table and fence i had built because i just wasn't happy with it and bought a fence instead!

I will get some pics up once i have everything installed ( i won't say completed because i will probably keep making modifications as i go) so you can get a better idea of the space i have!!!

In the meantime (and this was actually the reason i started this thread) i could do with some advice please.

I have finished the router table top/bench in MDF and wondered if i should apply a coat of varnish to it or just leave it untreated?

Thanks in advance!

Pretty sure everyone will tell you that you need to treat or otherwise seal the mdf, if it gets damp, you'll be gutted.

Thanks Reggie!

Yeah, i was 99% sure i needed to, but as i have never worked with MDF before i thought i had best ask just to be sure:)
Can't say i would lose any sleep if i never used any again......awful stuff!

Sorted now though and just waiting for the router and it should be finished tomorrow!
2jeald.jpg

Here is a pic of the outside..
2rww68g.jpg

buy a family gym membership and take back ur workshop. You have sharp woodworking tools to torture them with :twisted:

rdesign":2b8xmwfq said:
buy a family gym membership and take back ur workshop. You have sharp woodworking tools to torture them with :twisted:

Ha! Good idea!

I'm actually delighted with the way it's turned out so far, apart from the fact it's like an oven in there at the moment until i sort out some blinds!

It's perfectly usable now but i want to finish a few things off and will probably start my first project on Monday, whatever that may be!

Here's how it looks so far, obviously it's lacking actual floor space but the upside is that everything is really close to hand,,,REALLY close!

2m5gnq8.jpg

2ypngww.jpg

I now have 3 routers! So i have put 2 of them under benches!
sdhf1c.jpg

Spot the...ahem...deliberate mistake, hole in the wall from initial idea...need to sort that out before winter!
dwffp0.jpg

No idea why i have a yellow high viz vest hanging up there!!!
i5qd07.jpg

15s7ll4.jpg

The Woodpecker":27oqji9g said:
Spot the...ahem...deliberate mistake, hole in the wall from initial idea...need to sort that out before winter!

When I first saw the photo, I assumed it was to allow you to make long rip cuts! I'd be half tempted to leave it there, put a hinged flap with a little porch over it on the other side of the wall so it can open and fall closed as necessary... ;-)

JakeS":2dw1wwo2 said:
The Woodpecker":2dw1wwo2 said:

When I first saw the photo, I assumed it was to allow you to make long rip cuts! I'd be half tempted to leave it there, put a hinged flap with a little porch over it on the other side of the wall so it can open and fall closed as necessary... ;-)

+1

I would also want to fashion some kind of extension to that emergency stop button so that you can hit it if needed!

Hi Ian, I've never worked with mdf either but I've read plenty about it for router tables and in general, seal it up or cry later is the mantra it would appear, looks like you've got it sorted now though, it seems there are plenty of methods for sealing ranging from a pva wash to proper lamination.

That's looking like a great little workspace now, compact and bijou :D I thought the hole in the back was to make an outlet for dust extraction, that'd be a really neat place to exhaust and cut down on noise inside the shed :) I would also consider putting a box around the router itself if it's convenient/possible, which would again help to remove noise and could be used for dust collection, it doesn't need to be much, extending the shelf to the right of where the router is would be enough and give you space to get your hands in should you need to adjust anything and leave you with some storage space underneath that won't interfere with the router.

+1 for a stop button where it's easiest to get to, or a foot pedal based kill switch, don't even have to touch that, just have to fall over or lift your foot!!

You've even got space for an incra gizmo, nice.

JakeS":302g82cs said:
flounder":302g82cs said:
+1

I would also want to fashion some kind of extension to that emergency stop button so that you can hit it if needed!

You can't see them very clearly in the pic with the hole,but,i marked out a grid in pencil on the ply so i knew where the glass panels were and also the frame to screw the ply to.

What i plan on doing,if i find i need to, is to cut a flap,the height of first pane of glass and the width of the ply and put it on hinges, which would give me an opening of about 8"x 48".

So yeah, whilst it wasn't the initial reason for the hole, that is what it could become. I don't want to do it unless it proves necessary though because i have designed everything so far, in a way that means the shop can be returned to it's intended use as a summerhouse should i ever move.

I had a little think about extending the stop button but haven't come up with anything i'm happy with yet!

Reggie":1rp1203w said:
Hi Ian, I've never worked with mdf either but I've read plenty about it for router tables and in general, seal it up or cry later is the mantra it would appear, looks like you've got it sorted now though, it seems there are plenty of methods for sealing ranging from a pva wash to proper lamination.

That's looking like a great little workspace now, compact and bijou :D I thought the hole in the back was to make an outlet for dust extraction, that'd be a really neat place to exhaust and cut down on noise inside the shed :) I would also consider putting a box around the router itself if it's convenient/possible, which would again help to remove noise and could be used for dust collection, it doesn't need to be much, extending the shelf to the right of where the router is would be enough and give you space to get your hands in should you need to adjust anything and leave you with some storage space underneath that won't interfere with the router.

+1 for a stop button where it's easiest to get to, or a foot pedal based kill switch, don't even have to touch that, just have to fall over or lift your foot!!

You've even got space for an incra gizmo, nice.

Some form of proper dust extraction is something i will need to look into later but for now i have just rigged up a pretty crude system using a vacuum cleaner. If you look at the 3rd photo, in the corner below the right hand row of screw boxes, you will see a green button.
That is the on/off switch for a vax which is built in under the bench. It's pretty powerful and should do the job for direct attachments(hopefully).

The panel to the left of the router is actually used to gain access to the vacuum for emptying/service, so probably for that reason, i won't box that router in. It's probably not going to get used much anyway as the main router is located in the cupboard to the right of the table saw.

The jury is out on the incra fence for now.... haven't used it at all yet since setting it up but i'm a little concerned about a couple of aspects of it. I will reserve judgement until iv'e had a play with it!

you need a guard on that blade, especially in such a confined space

Here's a suggestion for stopping your saw. You need a long strip of wood on the outside of your cabinet door, hanging from a hinge at the top. On the back of the strip, glue a little square lump about the size of the stop button. Below that, drill a finger sized hole.
The square lump pushes the stop button if you touch the strip with your hand, knee, foot etc.
You can still start your saw easily but deliberately by poking your finger through the hole.

This arrangement makes emergency stops much easier. It's what I have added to my very basic tablesaw.

But I would also put a guard on the blade. You have plenty of places to mount the sort that comes on an adjustable arm - it doesn't have to be attached to the riving knife.

Lee J":6mxba8sl said:
you need a guard on that blade, especially in such a confined space

Yes, it didn't have one when i bought it so i made a wooden version which seems to do the job!

AndyT":6mxba8sl said:
Here's a suggestion for stopping your saw. You need a long strip of wood on the outside of your cabinet door, hanging from a hinge at the top. On the back of the strip, glue a little square lump about the size of the stop button. Below that, drill a finger sized hole.
The square lump pushes the stop button if you touch the strip with your hand, knee, foot etc.
You can still start your saw easily but deliberately by poking your finger through the hole.

This arrangement makes emergency stops much easier. It's what I have added to my very basic tablesaw.

But I would also put a guard on the blade. You have plenty of places to mount the sort that comes on an adjustable arm - it doesn't have to be attached to the riving knife.

Brilliant idea thank you! Simple but effective!

Back