Building a timber rack?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I am having a total reorganisation of the workshop this weekend and part of that involves building a timber rack similar to in this wood whisper video (without the plywood cart).

https://thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/racking-my-brain/
I originally had in my head how I was going to make it using 6x2 and bolts but after watching a few similar "lumber racks" getting built on Youtube I realise as usual I was overbuilding it.

Just wondered if anyone has built their own version and if they would make it the same if they did it again??

Thanks, Doug

Mines made of three by three box section with built in mitre saw bench.
Talk about over kill.

Timber racks are fine if you have plenty of space in your shop. My timber has to be stored in the yard outback. I was going to make-up a Framed area in the yard using deck boards and some plastic sheeting for a cover. Last year's episode with with cellulitis put paid to that but it's still on the back burner

John

This is the way I’ve always done mine, each bracket is a stand alone piece then they can be moved if you ever need to, made out of 1 1/2” x 3” two big screws hold the two bits of wood together, it’s screwed to the wall and then put the white metal bracket in place, it’s amazing how much they will stand. Actually I don’t know how much they will stand as I’ve never had one fail. Ian
8FDE3C02-4254-4C0B-A957-52269D071EA1.jpeg

I use some of the heavier duty lip and spur shelving (4 'uprights' to help spread the weight) This allows for me to reorganise (ha!) if I want.

Can get a surprisingly large amount of timber on a set of these.

Have a look around for stuff to repurpose.
We made racking from some old pub tables, they were made of 50mm square section steel tube, we cut the table support off turned them sideways and bolted them to the wall each table makes 2 shelves. Super strong and cost nothing.

This looks good, and cheap too. Triton Woodrack Storage System - WRA001

Thanks guys.

I had seen the Triton rack, looks useful but I need something bigger.

Think I am going with some 4x2 bolted to the wall with some of the heavy duty shelf brackets attached, seems the easiest way and easily adjustable, will post some photos when it's done (y)

Back