Building a shed in Finland

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a full sheet today of 19mm MDF (plywood was too expensive, 75€ for a 15mm sheet, 18mm construction was out of stock) and I am going to be doing some prep work, since I have a lot of cutting to be doing I decided it was time to finally buy a miter saw. And I found a decent one, an ELU PS-174:
OeaQxAOh.jpg

Yeah I'm not one to buy new tools for the most part...

So that's what I am gonna do with the MDF, a basic miter saw stand so I get some support for the boards I will be cutting up. MDF is not very weather resistant though, but it can be oiled to help with that. And of course today it finally rained and a lot and I don't have a cover for my trailer so I had to buy a tarp and wrap it up, then be very quick getting it in the shop. Some drops got on it, fortunately the rain stopped almost completely once home, so I hope no damage done. So I'll be doing this before doing any facade work.
Is it a quiet induction motor saw??

It's supposed to use brushes, it's the forefather to the Dewalt 777 since Elu was bought by DW in the 90s, but when I was using it I was asking myself, is this really a brushed motor? It's as silent as an induction motor....

More intermission stuff, I haven't had a lot of time going forward on this project this week. I've mostly painted the main stand a few times with polyurethane to give it better water resistance and cut up parts for the wings so I can start assembling it soon and hopefully use it over the weekend.

It's spring so we're working on gardening stuff as well as getting next years firewood ready.

On tuesday a guy dumped 2 cubic meters of dirt on our back lawn, gonna try and grow strawberries in raised beds instead of in the ground.
pQZzEVAh.jpg

And I've been cutting firewood, not done until this is filled all the way up and I got another pile in the new shed I am working on. (Noticing this firewood shed is going skewed with time, literally built from scrap with two pallets for a base and sitting on some rocks)
Ev9XEWJh.jpg

Maybe you firewood people have heard of using a tire (or chains, straps or something else) to prevent firewood from flying when splitting it, well I thought all those solutions sounded like they could be improved on. So I used chicken wire and some pieces of wood. Works perfectly and.
ZTheiMFh.jpg

I got some pieces to glue in the back to stiffen it sideways, as well as some shelves. But MDF is pretty heavy and lifting it on and off the table saw made me hold off on that,

So that will be a really cold place in winter, I know how cold it can get in Finland and although it was a dry cold it still freezes the bits that don't get frozen here in the Uk.
Took a trip to Helsinki once, and whilst there we went for a walk in a forest/nature reserve about an hour's drive away from the coast.

In January.

Dear God.

It is just not possible to describe the reality of the cold to people from the UK, particularly Southern Softies like me.

Took a trip to Helsinki once, and whilst there we went for a walk in a forest/nature reserve about an hour's drive away from the coast.

In January.

Dear God.

It is just not possible to describe the reality of the cold to people from the UK, particularly Southern Softies like me.
I drove up to the Arctic Circle, in late August '02, 25* c !

Our beds are 2' high and they were happy growing in them. The neighbour has a greenhouse and is growing some in hanging baskets. He already has a bunch of green ones!

Pete

Last night was a gardening day.

First went to my parents and picked up the plants they planted from runners for us last year, must've been almost a hundred plants.
pFNRoOhh.jpg

And some free water barrels too
CfBXp1sh.jpg

Coffee break with some rhubarb crumble
iYNHlvKh.jpg

My parents old greenhouse, it's gonna get torn down this year and the arches will go to someone else. The 2nd greenhouse was torn down last year, they will leave 4-5 of the arch segments nearest to have a smaller greenhouse / tractor storage.
fKOazf4h.jpg

Growing in the sand, nothing was grown in the sand for the 40 years they worked in it, they used hydroponics and grew tomatoes in rockwool, the sand was just the base.
KGDQzSKh.jpg

Think these are potatoes, and wild dill is growing in random spots. My dad dropped some onions he hung to dry too and they started growing in the sand. Things seem to grow well in sand.
Lb6w5Fih.jpg

So we brought home some sand with us and mixed it into the top layer of the planter boxes we're putting the strawberry plants in:
FCEMSP6h.jpg

All done:
SYwyt6mh.jpg

Now finally I can move on to the shed again.

I got the miter station jigged up so I could make consistent cuts.
lvq3kCGh.jpg

Then I just started nailing, just one nail in the center is what I chose to go with, based on what I've read, that way the lumber won't crack. Two nails say 1/3rd in from each side might hold the board flatter, but might also crack when it shrinks. There's also a gap between the boards, where a 50mm / 2" batten will cover the gap.

bzB4Q9Kh.jpg

Keep going.
dDjFnbCh.jpg

Until the lower portion's done.
xVlriTHh.jpg

CdaPz4Uh.jpg

Last night was a gardening day.

First went to my parents and picked up the plants they planted from runners for us last year, must've been almost a hundred plants.
Don't worry - there'll be at least 300 next year. :LOL:

Been going slow, but this side's done now, well until it's time for the battens

K65b44wh.jpg

Sheet metal will be covered with boards, some gaps between them to allow ventilation.

G2tj9BF.jpg

The list or moulding or whatever to call it, doesn't go all the way, but this is because it will be trimmed later when I fit boards to cover up the corners.

8i9uyc1.jpg

I got this far and then I ran out of material, time to go buy more:
uS1FvWeh.jpg

what will u use to protect the wood....?
do u have wood eating bugs up there.....?
I did some paneling like that but under a tiled roof....
took the time to seal/stain all sides before fitting...

Back