Building a garage?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
We're thinking of adding a garage to our house - I'll use it as a workshop but we're thinking it'll add value to the house too.

I was just browsing and came across Compton Garages. Has anyone used them or heard of them? They are prefab garages and seem to come in a lot cheaper (half?) than the £10,000+ I was thinking?

Any comments appreciated - I haven't done much research yet but am already getting excited!!

Cheers

Gidon

Been around for donkeys - if a vacuum cleaner is a 'Hoover', then a prefab garage is most likely a 'Compton' (although equally a 'Marley'). A safe and probably easier planning process than a normal build, HOWEVER, I suspect most prefabs including have thin, single skin structure designed for transport. They might need a good deal of work to make a well insulated workshop. An insulated cavity walled garage/workshop although costing a lot more, will probably add a greater proportion of its cost to the overall property value than a prefab would. E.g. a future buyer might not see 'handy workshop' but 'home office potential' instead.

I think you should consider your future plans (e.g. staying / moving) into the equation as well. If moving sooner than later, self-build sectional, cheap - conversely build to full code.

(Edited mucho - dislexick)

Hey, Compton are still around? Wow! My father had one donkeys years ago. I think it's still standing. Nothing wrong with them as I remember -- just make sure you've got a really solid and flat base to build on and you'll be fine.

If you're going prefab, though, why not build one yourself out of wood? 2 by 4 framing with claps over exterior ply sides. Tyvek vapour barrier. Roof either flat or pitched with 30-year asphalt. Fill the walls with rockwool and clad with gyproc. Paint. Bob's your uncle! And a bit of fun doing it all. I have a set of plans somewhere if you're interested.

Gidon,
I reckon Ike has said most of the cautionary stuff I would suggest, which is basically to consider your future "life plans" carefully. A building much out of character with the house is not likely to add a great deal of value if perceptibly "downmarket" and conversely not likely to add very much extra if perceptibly "upmarket" from the house.

It might be worth consulting with an estate agent in the area to get some idea of the "envelope" of parameters you need to consider.

Thanks everyone. I'm rapidly going off the idea after seeing your comments and doing a little more research - but I will try and take a look at a showroom if I get a chance. The trouble is the garage would face the front of the house - so it will have to look good. WWH - I may look into your suggestion - building one. I'm just so sick of having to lug anything I purchase to the back of the garden - never mind the fact that a bigger workshop would be a real treat :).
Cheers
Gidon

Back