Building a farm gate : Plans?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all...

I was wondering, does anyone know how to build a gate like this:

http://www.chfc.co.uk/gate6p561.jpg

or have any plans or know where I might purchase a plan?

I have a fair idea of how it fits together, but always niced to have the reassurance of a quality plan...

any help would be much appreciated....

Yep i have build one, about three years ago for my house, but have taken it away about 4 mnths ago to replace with a 2.5 mtr high electric gate

mine was 5 meter wide with one being 1 meter (walk gate) and one off 4 meter.

They do sack a bit so i put an extra support wheel under the 4 meter one.

they are very easy to build, took me about a day. but ensure the poles are about 1 meter in the ground with a lot of concrete around them. the hardware and carrige bolds are easy to obtain at B&Q

if your gates are not more than 2 mtrs in span, then there is no worry they will sack as the construction is very sturdy

McLuma

Hi Big Louie,
I built a similar 2-door gate to that one, you can see it in the pic towards the right (I also have a smaller door toward the middle). I didn't have plans so I don',t really know what to say...I just calculated the width of the opening, subtacted a little for the hinges and center and then divided by two. That gave me the measurement from each door. I then layed out the lumber for the frame on saw horses, measured the width and diagonally to get it square, then clamped the corners. Then I traced the outline of the overlapping frame members, and made the cuts for half-lap joints. Half-laps are very strong, and with a few screws and polyurethane glue they should never move. The doors don't sag thanks to the X frame like on your pics.
If you need to know more just ask.
Cnv0175fence_41k.jpg

Hi Biglouie
Built almost identical gates this year. Uprights and top bar 3x2 and small bars and cross beams 3x1. Horizontal bars mortised and tenoned into the uprights glued and dowelled. The dowel will increases the strength of joint. The cross members a sort of half lap joint to keep flush and then bolted with coach bolts. Made out of tanalised wood and then sanded and stained.

Les

Les

Did you just design from looking at another one? Or grab a plan from somewhere?

I might just go and draw a plan up from someone elses gate..

Dont mind me!
Just copying the design fo your gate love....
Burglar?
No. Just a bit odd.

Frank...

Nice gates...very tidy.

Not what I had in mind, but it's got me thinking now. Maybe I'll speak to the wife, see if she wants to rethink her plans..

Biglouie
I was asked to replace some gates that were falling apart. Virtually identical to the ones in your picture. The way they were made was pretty poor, butt jointed and screwed. So decided to make with mortice and tenon and dowels.

Les

Back