Building a dust extractor system (Part 2)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
A long running Tuit of the extractor system was to add a final section to the crown guard on the tablesaw. I finally got round to it this weekend. As it didn't involve too much lifting or twisting, I decided it'd be OK given the back injury.

I'd managed to pick up a few bits and pieces as they removed the "clean rooms" from work. (I work for an electronics company and we maintain certain rooms at specific levels of comtaminents in the air - e.g dust). Anyway, I found one was a perfect adaptor from the TS crown guard, to 80mm pipe.

click on image for larger view

With this installed, I was able to fit some 80mm pipe to it

I made a 80mm - 100mm adaptor by cutting a "wedge" out of some 110mm pipe, heating it on the gas hob, and folding it to size, it looks a bit heath-robinson, but works fine.

I then used a "U" clip on the roof, to hold the pipes up out of the way. You can see here a join from 80mm to 100mm using the adaptor above, just where it goes through the clip. You can see I've also added a blast gate, and a "Y" section. I need to couple it into the original installation, and the flexible pipe has already been disconnected.

You can see here the "Y" section installed, and the two pipes that split from it.

I still have an unterminated end which doesn't have a blast gate - I've taken to plugging it instead of using a blast gate...

medium.jpg

Which is nothing more than an piece of tube, with some wood through it to stop it disappearing.... (it's a perfect fit)

medium.jpg

From several car-boots, and a couple of clearouts at work, I seem to have aquired a good range of measuring equipment.

medium.jpg

I'd never come across these before, it's a quick release vice - does it have a "proper" name does anyone know?

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

One of the things I got is an engineering square, I decided it's not good in a drawer - I need it where I can grab it quickly.

medium.jpg

So I made a little holder. Might not be much, but each little item indicates I'm on the road to recovery :p

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Adam

Adam,
That is quite an installation - really beats breathing dust I am sure. I like the Lamello but I liked the inventory listing of your planes even more - that was what I saw in the last photo n'est ce pas?

Inventory? Well, I've got fourth from top on the RHS and 2nd from bottom from RHS....... now just need *another* bonus from work and SWMBO will let me go shopping again :shock: .

I thought a P/T (HMS260 cast iron) (for whoever it was that asked) a nd a Biscuit jointer was a pretty good haul for the weekend......and, well, a Tormek 2006 seemed to slip in the car boot also. Wasn't me honest guv.

Hi Adam,

Excellent. Thats exactly what i want to do in my workshop.

Is the dust extractor you are using the Scheppach ha2600? If so how does it cope with pulling the saw dust through long lenths of pipe?

The reason i ask is i have the same one but i am not sure if it is man enough to cope with pipe work going up and down a 26ft workshop.
I also have an elektra beckum and i thought about joining both of them up with a Y connecter so that i have double the power, would this work do you think?

Once again well done it is always easier to understand when there is a few photos, and lets face it it also gives us a chance to show off our new Lamello's, lucky devil.

Mike.C

Holy smoke, Adam. :shock: When you go shopping, you surely do go shopping. :lol: Heaven knows where you'll put it all though... :roll:

Oh, and nice picture story on setting up the dust extraction too.

Cheers, Alf

Mike.C":3g34lpvs said:
Hi Adam,

Excellent. Thats exactly what i want to do in my workshop.

Is the dust extractor you are using the Scheppach ha2600? If so how does it cope with pulling the saw dust through long lenths of pipe?

Yes. (It is a 2600). I'm not sure I can comment on long lengths of pipe as the total distance from the extractor to the saw is probably between 2-3meters. Whilst it looks a lot of installation, the workshop is so small - non of the runs are really very long. The longest (which is to the workbench flexible pipe) is intended just to pick up the bits from a router, so doesn't need to be amazingly good, the planer thicknesser - well, I'll let you know when it arrives!

Mike.C":3g34lpvs said:
The reason i ask is i have the same one but i am not sure if it is man enough to cope with pipe work going up and down a 26ft workshop.
I also have an elektra beckum and i thought about joining both of them up with a Y connecter so that i have double the power, would this work do you think?

Once again well done it is always easier to understand when there is a few photos, and lets face it it also gives us a chance to show off our new Lamello's, lucky devil.

Mike.C

Well, 26 ft does sound a long way :shock: (nice gloat by the way :wink: ) I can't see any particular problem with a "Y" unless one extractor has a much stronger pull than the other.

ALF":3g34lpvs said:
Holy smoke, Adam. When you go shopping, you surely do go shopping. Heaven knows where you'll put it all though...

Well, I waited many months for that bonus. I'd been plotting what to spend it on for ages. I've got one more bonus to come, and at least 50% is going on hand tools. After that, I hoping to stop buying/setting up the workshop, and switch to making more things.

ALF":3g34lpvs said:
Oh, and nice picture story on setting up the dust extraction too.

Cheers, Alf

Ta muchly. Hope it's of use for someone.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Good to see your dust collection system go together. I love seeing what people are doing and how they are doing it. :D
My only worry for you is changing the sack on your collector. :evil: You'll be surprised how quick it will fill up when your thicknessing. :shock:

DaveL":328vgpj8 said:
Hi Adam,

Good to see your dust collection system go together. I love seeing what people are doing and how they are doing it. :D
My only worry for you is changing the sack on your collector. :evil: You'll be surprised how quick it will fill up when your thicknessing. :shock:

Thats something I will have to put up with. Opening the door to the little outhouse gives me immediate access to the extractor, although it's currently facing "the wrong way round" for easy bag changes. I'm considering adding a bit more flexible cable in there, so I can push it in with the bag closest to the door - this should make changing the bag really easy.

Adam

Adam,

I agree that putting the extractor in the out house is good. :D Bill Pentz site is a mine of information. :D
If you get the extractor in with the bag facing you I don't think you'll have a big problem. :)

Adam, all, I plan to get started at getting several pipes connected to my EB dust extractor. One thing I am not really sure about is the best location for the blastgates.

Should the blast gates be just before the end of each pipes (before a particular tool like the tablesaw or the planer) or should they be as close as possible to the dust extractor?
I am understanding it's best at the end of the pipes, right? :?

CYC":3vvxr8mv said:
Adam, all, I plan to get started at getting several pipes connected to my EB dust extractor. One thing I am not really sure about is the best location for the blastgates.

Should the blast gates be just before the end of each pipes (before a particular tool like the tablesaw or the planer) or should they be as close as possible to the dust extractor?
I am understanding it's best at the end of the pipes, right? :?

I'd put them where they are easy to reach :lol:

We have a bit of a crazy setup at work, and it's a right pipper climbing behind machines to open/shut the gates.

I have no idea if they should be at the start or end, but I'd be concious of furture reorganisations of the 'shop whilst you are instaling them.

Adam

Hi Adam,
Meant to ask you this when you posted the building of the outhouse for the extractor.

How have you got around the problem of stoping and starting the extractor from inside your shop i.e. NVR switch ?

Sawdust Producer":2m2c7lcx said:
Hi Adam,
Meant to ask you this when you posted the building of the outhouse for the extractor.

How have you got around the problem of stoping and starting the extractor from inside your shop i.e. NVR switch ?

I have it permenantly switched on (on the unit itself), and then just flick the switch on the plug on the wall.

Adam

Tidy setup there Adam.

I'm been thinking of installing a similar fixed system in my workshop. I'm not sure either though, if my extractor can cope with the pipe run when I've extended the 'shop to from 16' x 12' to 24' x 12'. As yours, great idea to put extractor outside. I'll do the same. Also get the advantage of pulling in clean air rather than recirculating fine dust, although will probably defeat the fan heater in the winter!

Spot on!

Ike

Ike,

I think the performance of that smooth plastic 110mm pipe is significantly better than most alternatives (e.g. the metal ducting). Basically becuase the inside of the pipe is so smooth, the resistance is lower, and you can cope with a longer run. From what I read, you should avoid the flexible stuff (with wire coils to keep its shape) except when finally attachint to a machine.

Adam

Adam,

Yeah, I'll probably use the plastic pipe. I have 8 metres surplus after putting in an upstairs bathroom last year. Can't think of any other use for it since.

Ike

A long running Tuit of the extractor system was to add a final section to the crown guard on the tablesaw. I finally got round to it this weekend. As it didn't involve too much lifting or twisting, I decided it'd be OK given the back injury.

I'd managed to pick up a few bits and pieces as they removed the "clean rooms" from work. (I work for an electronics company and we maintain certain rooms at specific levels of comtaminents in the air - e.g dust). Anyway, I found one was a perfect adaptor from the TS crown guard, to 80mm pipe.

With this installed, I was able to fit some 80mm pipe to it

I made a 80mm - 100mm adaptor by cutting a "wedge" out of some 110mm pipe, heating it on the gas hob, and folding it to size, it looks a bit heath-robinson, but works fine.

I then used a "U" clip on the roof, to hold the pipes up out of the way. You can see here a join from 80mm to 100mm using the adaptor above, just where it goes through the clip. You can see I've also added a blast gate, and a "Y" section. I need to couple it into the original installation, and the flexible pipe has already been disconnected.

You can see here the "Y" section installed, and the two pipes that split from it.

I still have an unterminated end which doesn't have a blast gate - I've taken to plugging it instead of using a blast gate...

medium.jpg

Which is nothing more than an piece of tube, with some wood through it to stop it disappearing.... (it's a perfect fit)

medium.jpg

From several car-boots, and a couple of clearouts at work, I seem to have aquired a good range of measuring equipment.

medium.jpg

I'd never come across these before, it's a quick release vice - does it have a "proper" name does anyone know?

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

One of the things I got is an engineering square, I decided it's not good in a drawer - I need it where I can grab it quickly.

medium.jpg

So I made a little holder. Might not be much, but each little item indicates I'm on the road to recovery :p

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Adam

Latest posts

Back