Build your own home - UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey All

Does anyone know of a company that offers an end to end solution on building your own home I.e helps or has land to sell, planning permission and so on?

located in Hampshire I am looking for a needle in a haystack in terms of what we want from our next home, and wondered if the above exists? There are lots of home builders out there but not a lot that incorporates land if that makes sense

any suggestions welcome

thanks
Well I haven’t read all the posts but we did this in 1967 still live there ! All DIY with some help here and there from drawing plans, planning consent , planners were understanding and helpful, used tradesmen for some jobs I was not confident on and worked as a labourer for them . I would find the land and get stuck in ! Me well I was 23 finished my engineering apprenticeship getting married the next year — everyone thought I/we were mad 🤣🤣
Best of luck just go for it !

Check out VAT. New builds are VAT free.
Check out with local architect(s) how easy it is to get planning consent AND how quick. (It should be 6 - 8 weeks, but my local civil 'servants' keep asking for time extensions, and its been a year so far)

I have built two houses for myself. To answer the original question all I can suggest is to approach local, small builders who build houses to sell, to see if they can build a house for you or keep you in mind for any future projects. If they can get a buyer on board who finances the project then that is a big advantage to them.

There are real issues however with security of your investment. With any project like this the builder/developer will want payment as the project proceeds. How will your investment be protected. If the builder/developer goes bust or does not complete the project, who owns the land and part built house? What happens with the NHBC guarantee. What happens with claiming VAT back. How to fund it, is a bank or building society involved and will they lend money in such an arrangement.

I can see a small builder developing a site being willing to sell you a house at an early stage so you can have an input in to the house being built. Mortgage lenders used to be willing to do staged mortgages, (first floor joists, roof, plastered, completion, from memory) but they need security for their investment, so probably the property deeds.

I think the main issues to resolve is how you fund the project and where to live whilst the house is being built. There may be cash flow problems. With my first house and a staged mortgage, before I received my first payment, I had to buy the land and build to first floor joist level by which time all the bricks had to be purchased, roof trusses paid for and roofing tiles ordered etc. It was a challenge. I believed I could afford the final house but getting there was the problem.

With both my houses I owned the land and either built myself or employed a builder.

Good advice from Jonm. We built the house we now live in with the help of a building company, the land was some of the garden from the house we had lived in for 30 years so that was the first problem solved but it was the beginning of many problems to come. We were in our 60's and time is more important than it was when you are in your 30's and you will find that everybody you have dealings with are quick to take your money and slow to do what you have paid for. We are pleased with the result but did not enjoy the journey.

Can you not find a self build co-operative

Noooo!!!!
I worked with a carpenter who did that in the 80s. Once the plumber's house was finished, he wouldn't help the others. That made the rest of them mercenary. The electrician wanted more hours from the others in return for his because he was 'worth more'
The carpenters house was finished last, he did most of it himself after helping the others and once finished, they all hated each other.

I wanted to start something locally but couldn't even get the council to respond!

Back to the o.p, most opportunities are snapped up quick and unless someone doesnt have the finances to do a development themselves, they arent likely to want to have much hasstle ( they can sell off-plan easily and offer basic options )
You would almost certainly have to put the effort in to find suitable land, get an architect etc

Good luck 👍

Noooo!!!!
I worked with a carpenter who did that in the 80s. Once the plumber's house was finished, he wouldn't help the others. That made the rest of them mercenary. The electrician wanted more hours from the others in return for his because he was 'worth more'
The carpenters house was finished last, he did most of it himself after helping the others and once finished, they all hated each other.

I wanted to start something locally but couldn't even get the council to respond!

Back to the o.p, most opportunities are snapped up quick and unless someone doesnt have the finances to do a development themselves, they arent likely to want to have much hasstle ( they can sell off-plan easily and offer basic options )
You would almost certainly have to put the effort in to find suitable land, get an architect etc

Good luck 👍
Sounds a bad experience!!!

Last edited:
I did this 6 years ago. Bought a derelict house, lived in it for 18 months whilst new house was built behind it then knocked original down. Best thing I ever did, would never have afforded such a big jump in property any other way.
New builds are vat free, that's a massive saving.
I did a thread on here but all the pictures are missing.

Noooo!!!!

Good luck 👍
In my post I mentioned that a group of us bought a building site, rearranged the planning and we each ended up with a plot each. The others decided to build as a group but I decided to build by myself as I did not know them that well. Well the others had a fall out and it ended up in court. I got dragged in to it on the basis that I was there. I got my solicitors costs paid.

Was it worth doing. Yes without a doubt.

Good advice from Jonm. We built the house we now live in with the help of a building company, the land was some of the garden from the house we had lived in for 30 years so that was the first problem solved but it was the beginning of many problems to come. We were in our 60's and time is more important than it was when you are in your 30's and you will find that everybody you have dealings with are quick to take your money and slow to do what you have paid for. We are pleased with the result but did not enjoy the journey.
The second house I built was a similar situation. I took it through planning, appeal etc and was going to build it myself using subcontractors. In my 60’s, decided to go with a builder but a very good one, as in LABC small builder winner for the West Midlands Area (that is a Building Control award). It all went very well but still a lot of work deciding all the details.

Main thing is choose a good builder and be prepared to wait, in my case about over a year. And remember, the question to ask is not “when can you start” but “when can you finish”.

Thank you all for the detailed advise. From a very high level and having briefly spoken to portion yesterday the most challenging part is finding the plot and getting the slab and services done. From there I’m told the building of the frame/house is in the hands of Potton/whoever. Potton are associated with a few land owners that they already have knowledge of and know the details of when it comes to facilities and planning. Essentially you buy the land from the owner and off you go which I think maybe a possibility for me. I’ll speak to Dan-wood next week and see if they do something similar

I'd think getting the and with or obtaining planning permission is the most difficult part then it's a matter of project management and keeping tight reign on the budget.

Not starting off with a crazy grand designs idea in the first place must help.

Also have both partners (if a couple) invested in the project is essential too.

Did anyone see George Clark’s Amazing Spaces this week? I was impressed by the cabin build but puzzled too - all that built on four 500mm deep concrete pads with a concrete block on them. Can that be enough? And what about planning? Or building regs for that clearly non compliant rustic staircase? The cabin had water and electric and (presumably) drainage so it couldn’t be considered portable or temporary. So just what are the rules for building something like this?

Another point for consideration are the services, it is alright having a building plot with a house on it but make sure there are no issues with getting electricity to it, that can also be a nightmare if the nearest supply point is a long way off or you will need to cross other peoples land. The same for gas, water and sewage.

Back