Build dinghy outside?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeG.":2gktahwk said:
Chris, please, please post a detailed thread of the build. I know it's a bit of a pain, but I'd hugely appreciate it, and I'm sure I'm not alone. This is something I've always wanted to do. Even better, film it and upload to Youtube.
Just watched this run through on a build that I think's the one I linked to above - took over an hour to watch all the short episodes and it doesn't seem to finish, which is a shame as it's quite a good overview. Some unguarded table sawing and a bit of slo-mo of a jig saw working early on, but generally gets to the point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHRQA4Pnjp4

Jig saw seems to be the way forward with cutting the ply. I can't control mine well, and it's hard to see which way the blade is actually trying to go. So I blame the saw. Anyone got suggestions as to what's a decent jig saw - brand/ model? For a reasonable price, I mean.

Bosch jigsaws, believe it or not, were always the site chippies favourites. I'm not sure if this is still the case. They are fairly cheap, too, compared with some.

The problem I always have with jigsaws is not so much following the line (although I agree that's not always easy), but the fact that they don't cut square - i.e. even if you're following the line on the top, you might not be underneath.

I suspect that the quality and sharpness of the blade matters more than the saw itself. Perhaps it's worth splashing out on some good blades suitable for ply and trying those before you buy a different saw. You could use the new blades on the new saw so wouldn't lose anything. I think you should also be prepared to change blades reasonably frequently. Going slowly, especially on the curves would also help.

A band saw would probably be a better tool for the job, but I appreciate that might not be possible.

Thanks both. I'll try different blades on the one I have to see if it makes a difference, and if not I'll check Bosch etc and watch some reviews. And maybe some practice before I part with any money, it could easily just be me.

Boat yard:
IMG_20200714_141017.jpg

It measures about 18' diagonally, so hopefully that'll hold a 14' dinghy ok - I need to check tho. I'm amazed at the condition - it's 10 years since we last used it, full of happy memories. I might put a cheap tarp over to keep it from getting stained by the trees.

Attachments

• IMG_20200714_141017.jpg
    IMG_20200714_141017.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 157
Chris152":3fq0s6rz said:
Boat yard:
It measures about 18' diagonally, so hopefully that'll hold a 14' dinghy ok - I need to check tho. I'm amazed at the condition - it's 10 years since we last used it, full of happy memories. I might put a cheap tarp over to keep it from getting stained by the trees.

Love it! I've got a very similar tent which my wife and I refer to as our first home. She now hates the thing because it's a bit of mission to erect but I've got a soft spot for it.

It should be great for an outside workshop.

In my experience the old trade (blue) Bosch jigsaws are great ( I have one) but the new ones much less so. I also have a Milwaukee mains jigsaw, which is excellent.

It is nonsense that jigsaws will not do perpendicular cuts. This is invariably caused by one of three things (usually in combination):

Going too fast. Usually much too fast
Using excessive reciprocation (it clears the sawdust but does not aid accuracy)
Poor quality or blunt blades and wrong blade for the job.

I have cut perfectly perpendicular curves in 2" oak with my hand held Milwaukee jigsaw. Will see if I can find a photo.

Love the tent, should work well and you can pretend you're on holiday. Just don't fall out with the other half or you might be sleeping in it as well. :lol:

NickM":352bqg34 said:
She now hates the thing because it's a bit of mission to erect but I've got a soft spot for it.
I got it down to about 1 hour for an over-night stay on the way to the place we used to go in south-west france - the trick was to lubricate well with some red wine. After packing it away, we bought some of those Quechua tents that pop up and link together, now that was a bit of a revelation. But this a way better tent overall, i think.

Brilliant hobby, I have built a Selway Fisher outside and a row boat in a very leaky barn. All woodwork is okay outside but I have made a few messes getting the temperature wrong for epoxy coating and varnishing. The epoxy went on when the boat was too hot outside with no shade, went lumpy and needed sanding. Varnish in a polyester tent in summer also needs to have care taken of temperature and humidity.
There is nothing as satisfying as sailing/rowing on the Estuary in what was just a pile of plywood 6 months ago.
17BD8AB3-CA2C-498E-8093-BB6A76C086FB_1_105_c.jpeg

P.S. I agree with the jigsaw difficulties, buy a good one and take it slow, forcing it does tend to push the blades offline and as said above off horizontal. Don't rely on it, cut 3-4mm outside the line and finish with a plane, the only way to get a fair curve.

Latest posts

Back