BugBear is in the new Popular Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I don't know if any of you get the magazine "Popular Woodworking" but it is an excellent one for those who use hand tools as well as power tools.
Bugbear's tip on using a vise-in-a-vise made this issue.

Wayhay! Further fame :D Congrats, BB. I see they're using the mitre clamp trick for marking dovetails in the issue I currently have too (won't get the new one for about 6 weeks :( ).

Cheers, Alf

I noticed the miter clamp item was creditied as "found on the internet" with no props to the 'Bear :lol: . Chris had to make it up to BB this issue :lol: .
BTW, this issue also has David Charlesworth on sharpening including the "ruler trick" and some handsaw storage tips from Graham Blackburne. The distance across the Atlantic is getting smaller & smaller.

Yeah, sneaky of Chris I thought. Tsk tsk. :?

I dunno though, what's the point of getting all these exotic forrin magazines if they're all full of Brits?! And David Charlesworth? Hah. My shelves bulge with his "mainstay" articles in triplicate these days. Furniture & Cabinetmaking, The Books and now FWW or PWW. D'you think I could reasonably ask for discount on the DVDs having previously bought in bulk, albeit by installment? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for all the kind words, one and all.

The vise-on-a-stick trick is (AFAIK) my original idea, and (if I say so myself) work DAMN well. An excellent cost-benefit, as our bean counting friends would have it.

The vise in a workmate trick is just an evolution of the very established technique of mounting an engineering vise on a big block of wood and holding it in your main bench vise

The mitre clamps for DT marking marking trick is definitely NOT my idea, and is carefully credited as such. I may have popularised it.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/c/dchaynie/howto/dovetails/hand_cut_dovetails.htm
pinscribesetup.jpg

http://www2.gol.com/users/nhavens/htmlfile/dt3-e.html
dt34.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/DovetailDrawer10.html
Clamp4Marking3.jpg

BugBear

bugbear":1654cmkc said:
The mitre clamps for DT marking marking trick is definitely NOT my idea, and is carefully credited as such. I may have popularised it.
Nothing wrong with praising the messenger instead of shooting him :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Roger Nixon said:
"Popular Woodworking" but it is an excellent one

Roger - I am thinking of subscribing, I already take FWW, could you say how the two compare, is PW a monthly mag.? Any comment appreciated

Popular Woodworking comes out 7 times per year. Since Christopher Schwarz, now executive editor, has been there it has really been a great resource for hand tool users. Like all woodworking magazines, they have to cater to power tools for the advertising income but there is enough hand tool content to make it worthwhile.
Since I like old tools and history, the articles by Don McConnell and Graham Blackburn especially appeal to me and this kind of content is hard to find in most magazines.
The magazine's greatest asset, Chris Schwarz, is someone who has a huge love and enthusiasm for woodworking. He is very accessible by email and posts frequently on WoodCentral hand tool forums. He will often put free articles and plans on the internet and, in cases like his review of LN chisels, he will give more details on the internet when magazine space won't allow a longer review.
I really like FWW, especially when there are articles by Garrett Hack or Mario Rodriguez but PW is my favorite.

Latest posts

Back