Bugbear bowsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank D.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, 2 years after starting I finally finished my bowsaw. It's made of cherry and maple. The handles are boxwood from Lee Valley. The finish is shellac and wax. A fun and easy project, and a new tool to boot! The only electrons I burned were with a drill press, to drill the holes for the blade holders.
Frank
PS I posted this on WC too, sorry for the repeat but I thought I'd post it here for those who don't visit that site.
DSC01312_bowsaw.jpg

That's one pretty saw!

How does it cut (besides the obvious) ? :)

I've never used a bowsaw before. Are they used like a big coping saw?

Quite nice, Frank. (saw it on WC as well.)

Between you and Derek you guys just might have motivated me to make a one.

My "ancient" one began to crack over a rather damp winter having had it stored in an unconditioned shed. By the time I noticed and brought it in it just slowly continued to split apart.

I like the use of the LV chisel handles. It looks like they would provide a very positive grip.

Thanks guys. I tried it out on some maple and it cuts very well. It is like a coping saw, only the blade and frame don't bend, so it's a nice step up. It can turn on a dime, and it's also good for rips and plain crosscuts. The only minor problem is that the handle doesn't quite have enough friction against the frame so it turns a little while I saw. I should be able to fix that with a leather washer between handle and frame.

Purty saw, Frank. =D> The LV handles are nice but I wonder if you might find they're a little long... Well I have a feeling I would anyway, but then we all know me and LV handles are not a match made in heaven. :lol: What string did you use? (the other standard bowsaw question, right after the blade one :wink: )

Cheers, Alf

There's clearly no need for a bandsaw in your workshop now you've got such a lovely manual alternative. Nice job :) .

Gill

Thanks again everyone,
You're too kind, such a simple project anyone can make one.
Chris, I use a 10 TPI 1/4" bandsaw blade. I also have a 6TPI 1/2" blade for heavier ripping.
Alf, I used polar bear gut. If you can't find any in your local hardware store, Lee Valley waxed hemp twine is a reasonable alternative. It works even better than I thought; besides being super strong, the wax keeps the knots tight when the saw isn't tensioned. I did have the same thought concerning the length of the handles. Instictively I place my index finger on the frame, so end up grabbing the small part of the handle. But time will tell, I'm used to using my big bertha Ulmia, which has stubby handles that I find too short. If I find them too long I can always chop them and reinsert some rod.
Nice try GIll, but I won,t dump my bandsaw just yet. Actually I like working in the back yard, and for lrger pieces that are unweildy on the bandsaw this fits the bill perfectly.

If word of this spreads much further... A Public Service Announcement for all you polar bears out there - be afraid...very afraid :shock: :lol:

ike":1ic4br8h said:
If word of this spreads much further... A Public Service Announcement for all you polar bears out there - be afraid...very afraid :shock: :lol:
Cut it out Ike, I have to hide my screen right now so the polar bear in my fridge can't read it!
Frank (grabbing a cold beer)

Latest posts

Back