buffing wheels and compounds- storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of buffing wheels and compounds, a couple of wheels to make a satin finish, the chestnut buffing system (for wood), with associated compounds, some smaller wheels to go on a drill, and yet more compounds for these. A growing collection.

Does anybody have any recommended storage systems? Or is a sustainer/toolbox the easiest idea?

phil.p":21y5b59n said:
Not really storage, but I have found zip lock food bags useful for keeping wheels etc. clean.

That's what I use as well. Although most of my wheels are permanently fixed to their respective machine.

I keep mine in a separate store cupboard in a ready to use state close to hand so that there is no time or effort lost sorting them out,
These are my wood mops and compounds in association with my user abrasives.

file.php

I have a similar setup for my metal burnishing mops and honing wheels associated with my small metal lathe.

is that the chestnut system that you have there, chas? if so, do you hold the mandrel in the backing jaws of the chuck (ie the bit that the jaw screws to)? I dont like using mine, because one time I did, I had some pin jaws in the chuck, and used these. long story short, it bent the jaws and went flying. It was absolutely user error, but I wish that the system would just fit on the pigtail of my grinder. I feel much happier using that.

Yes it's the chestnut system, mandrel is basically held in the backing jaws, either the 18mm stub or the main shank dependant on the chuck/accessory jaw fitted, usually C type jaws, occasionally the Cole jaws.

I've been using the system since early in 2009 and never had a mandrel move. (Scroll down the thread for various images)

There were problems with a new version of a chuck early on (Nova I think) as the accessory jaw inner diameter protruded inside the carrier jaw diameter forming a narrow lip, hence why later mandrels were supplied with an undercut to clear such accessory jaws.

Back