Budget Glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To glue the mitres should take no more than 1ml of glue.
Nigel
I gave up on using a PVA glue in mitres. It leaves a tiny but distinct glue line. Far better use a CA glue which will give the joint enough strength to be handled while you add reinforcement. No waiting for it to dry either. :giggle:

I gave up on using a PVA glue in mitres. It leaves a tiny but distinct glue line. Far better use a CA glue which will give the joint enough strength to be handled while you add reinforcement. No waiting for it to dry either. :giggle:
You misunderstood my post. I presented a hypothetical situation to demonstrate the insignificalt cost of any wood glue in a simple project even when it is the expensive Titebond 3. I also use CA for mitres when necessary and for other applications where PVA is totally unsuitable, repairing broken glass ornaments for example. CA is even more expensive than Titebond 3.
Nigel

I've noticed in a lot of modern upholstered furniture- chairs, settee's etc the glue they use is cascamite. You can always tell by the runs of rock hard glue thats dripped down the internal structure.

I'm a titebond fan. because it comes with different open times.

"Budget" being the initial outlay, and how long it will keep me going for, rather than the cost per bond. But I agree with your point.
I'd forgotten about Cascamite - we used it when I worked for antique furniture making guy, long ago.

I seem to remember in my "yoof" flour and water paste made a suitable glue for sticking paper together, and paper is just wood isn't it?o_O
Nigel

I've used several different glues, and had settled on Gorilla as being easily available etc but was gifted some Titebond 2 and now use that all the time. Nothing scientific, I just prefer the pour, spread and strength.
This offer below is for 2 of the bigger bottles, in fact the next size up is a gallon jug I think, so it is nearly 2L (1.892L to be exact) of wood glue for £24.88

Screwfix have 532ml of gorilla for £8.99 which by my maths makes it £31.97 for the same quantity of glue.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Titebond-I...d=1656237186&sprefix=titebond,aps,164&sr=8-11

Back