Budget airnailer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vormulac

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know there's been a bit of discussion about air tools in general, but I'm a total newcomer to this field and I wanted to just sound you out.

I'm really only interested in an air nailer and maybe a spray gun for finishing projects, I don't need the whole range of air tools, so I was wondering about compressors.

There's an offer at the moment that has a teeny SIP compressor (Airmate 1.5-0) with a spraygun and Cosmo 04927 nailer for £85, but from what I see, that compressor doesn't have any kind of storage chamber. Does this mean it will be running full tilt constantly?

Is it worth paying more and getting something with a 25 litre reservoir on board, or is that really only of any use when using air-sanders and the like?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts chaps.

Thanks!

Depends a bit on the size of thing you want to spray but in short a compressor without a decent tank is going to run constantly supplying a gun. For anything like a bit of furniture I would always want at least a 25 litre tank and preferably a 50l or bigger if I was using HVLP. Depending on the cfm the compressor can supply, you may still be waiting for it to recharge the tank periodically.

A small compressor is fine for nailers but their air consumption is tiny compared to almost any other air powered device. An air sander will easily consume 14 cfm and needs a bigger tank than 50l and a big compressor to boot.

I have the Cosmo nailer and I find it very good - it's never jammed; is well built and doesn't mark the wood (Toolstation do it on its own for £35). If it's the nailer/stapler, that's a slighty different design and may not be as good as the dedicated nailer - I'm sure someone here will know.

The compressor is a Cosmo (SIP) - 12L. I would not recommend it at all. It has no regulator so really might as well not have a tank for my purposes! It's loud and I don't really trust it but it does the job I guess. I don't use my nailer that much - use the blower far more often!

Size is a factor - the larger compressor's Chris mentions are BIG - I find my 12L one takes up more space than I'd like. But whether that is a problem will depend on how much you use it. I don't do spraying with mine - don't think it's would cope. I would decide if you are really going to use it for spraying - because that's changes your requirements considerably.

Cheers

Gidon

I bought the SIP 24l compressor 18 months ago for approx £100.
It came with 2 air outlets and a 5 piece accessory set, spraygun, air gun, tyre inflator etc.
I bought a brad nailer separately to get a bigger range of brads than most cheaper ones use.
A visit to MachineMart for extra hoses, 2 quick release outlets and quick releases for each hose makes it a matter of seconds to change tools yet I can keep the airgun connected constantly.
Compressor prices have dropped since I got mine.
Screwfix sell the Wolf 24l at £80. They also do a cheap 5 piece accessory set including spraygun for £25.

Thanks tx2man, but it's all pretty expensive kit there from what I can see - I'm just a lowly hobbyist :)

But based on all your comments, I think I will hold out for a compressor with a reservoir.

Cheers guys!

Just a thought,

There are sometimes good deals to be had on compressors, nailguns etc at Costco. If you have one near you its wortha look in. Not to mention the massive pecan pies :p

Martyn

An interesting thought, I think there's a CostCo about half an hour from me, I wonder if a compressor would fit in the MG...?

Come to think of it, don't you have to be a registered business to shop at CostCo. Do they have a UK website? I see there's a US one.

Latest posts

Back