BucksDad Workshop Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's so expensive ! Built my shed a year back, 12' X 8' , 4x2 frame work with 4 foot spacing, 6x1 gravel boards overlap cladding, 11mm OBS roof & felt . Got the timber cheap from a dodgy wood man , less than £500 total, pretty happy with it

I've got to say I think youre spending alot of money on that shed considering the size!

I built mine at the back end of last year and I reckon I got change from about 5k. its 4.4m x 2.9m

3x2 studwork frame on a 4'' reinforced concrete base sitting on 3 rows of engineering bricks.
GRP roof.
Siberian Larch cladding on 2 sides with Metal box section sheets on the other.
Insulated internally with 18mm ply lined walls.

No power into it yet but its right next to a Garage with a 10mm2 SWA cable feed to its own Consumer unit so I'll just run in another circuit to it once the weather perks up a bit.

tempImagejizpUX.png

I've got to say I think youre spending alot of money on that shed considering the size!

I built mine at the back end of last year and I reckon I got change from about 5k. its 4.4m x 2.9m

3x2 studwork frame on a 4'' reinforced concrete base sitting on 3 rows of engineering bricks.
GRP roof.
Siberian Larch cladding on 2 sides with Metal box section sheets on the other.
Insulated internally with 18mm ply lined walls.

No power into it yet but its right next to a Garage with a 10mm2 SWA cable feed to its own Consumer unit so I'll just run in another circuit to it once the weather perks up a bit.

View attachment 128974

Are you in Australia mate ?

:D top notch she's btw
Thanks

Also for the record if you buy your Cladding from UK Timber LTD like I did you end up with way more than you plan on! I measured the size I needed, ordered it plus 10% and which worked out at about 20m2 and then ended up barely using half of it!
I'll admit that I spaced the overlaps a little less than recommended but only by 5mm on each edge so that would only account for maybe a couple of extra boards used. All the scrap bits got used up above the door frame and for the soffits. I think by the time I was done I had barely 3/4 of a rubble sack full of offcuts

I'm going to use the remainder for some matching garage doors and probably a log store.

are you taking that 0.75 value from Part A?
Im not sure its in part A, but every roof design I had calcs done the SE always used 0.75/sqm for snow load -thats a 1 metre depth of snow, which I guess somebody has calculated is 75kg.

Last edited:
Okay looking back I missed the bit about you paying labour costs so when you compare them there isnt a huge difference between mine and yours.

Some obvious things that jump out at me though. that haven't been mentioned I dont think.

4x2 frame? Why not 3x2? Saves money and gains you space albeit only 50mm.

6x2 roof joists seems overkill? Would smaller centres and 4x2's work out cheaper?

90mm PIR insulation is more than you'd get in a house for the wall's plus youd need an air gap anyway so bring that down to 50mm and you need approx 13 sheets of it at around £30 a sheet halves your insulation cost.

Firing Strips. on a 3m span youve got roughly a 5cm drop on the roof. Just put a spare bit of 3x2 ontop of the framing on one edge and stick the rafters on that. £90 less.

Your IRO cladding is £65 a square metre! Really? Seems like a lot for not much!

Box profile cladding also seems high. Rhino cladding is £25 for a 2.5m length thats 1m wide. you only need 6.

And lastly. 10 days for a chippy to make it? Took me a week to build mine not including the Concrete base and brickwork but I built the doors from scratch(they're rubbish and I have to remake them but still!)

Hi @BucksDad Ive had a good read through your post, I see you're a man that likes things done properly !

Here's just a few ideas that could help cut the costs ( I am a bit of a penny pincher lol )

So first off you could go for 3x2 frame work save a lot of money there, plenty strong enough for a shed in my opinion

11mm OSB roof sheets are good enough especially with your joists being so close together, speaking of joists I bet 4x2s spaced that close would just about do it, especially if your roofs not too heavy (11mm osb ?? )

£240 on vinyl floor tiles is extortionate ! You could find off cuts or second hand rolls of vinyl. I picked up a roll of good thick vinyl 4.8m X 3.6m for they bought but never put down £20 off Facebook market place

Insulation from Wickes ( or any other builders merchants ) is very expensive. There's a fella near me that does cheap kingspan seconds, not perfect looking but if you're sandwiching it into a wall who cares ? You could see if there's someone local to you

Consider doing some of it yourself , perhaps lining / insulating the inside ? I know not everyones got the time / energy / skill but could save a few pennys ? If you need help you could get a labourer in £9 a hour to do all the heavy lifting

At the end of the day, you're only building a shed it's not a house lol !

Also often double glazing firms give away free second hand windows they've taken out could be worth giving a few local firms a bell ?

Thanks for the comments guys. To address the points

- 3x2 is a minimal saving in cost and won't save me any space as I've got a 100mm brick plinth
- Joist size - every published span table shows there isn't anything less than a 6" joist for a 3m span
- 11mm OSB - noted for that on the roof
- Vinyl floor tiles - The ones I've quoted are heavy duty, 7mm thick hence the price
- Firring strips - noted. As per discussion, would switch to raked walls
- Yes the IRO cladding is expensive but we have a small garden and it needs to look nice. I do like the board on board style that Chunky has done so I might consider that and can paint it
- Box profile - so yes, £150 for the sheets. Add in delivery, fixings and trims etc and that's why I got to £200
- Second hand window - yes, plenty going free but in white. Will either by Anthracite or black.

Yes you'd hope a carpenter / joiner could do it in a week so it might be a big allowance - that's why on this thread someone also mentioned using SIPs which I'm waiting on a quote back from.

In the meantime I'll contact a couple of carpenters and see what price they give.

One nice saving I've got is I do have a friend who is an electrician. The workshop came up in conversation and he's offered to do the electrics for me if I run the cable in so that will mean electrics will only be materials.

Haha Nope. One of the joys of using Apple products! The pictures just dont end up the right way up when you upload them to forums. Really annoying!

Not to hijack the thread but if you edit the picture either on your phone or your laptop/desktop by cropping it slightly or rotating it 90º and then all the way around and then saving the changes it will post properly when you upload to the forum. Beats having to nail everything to the floor so it doesn't fall to the ceiling. 😉

Pete

140mm wide boards on first with 70mm wide boards on top. 20mm thick.

This shows it a bit better. All coated on all sides before installation with Osmo Poly X Larch colour which greys it ever so slightly

View attachment 129067

Very nice that's how they use to do barns back in the day

I got a load of 6x1 gravel boards cheap , ended up lapping them like feather boards . Not the best looking but it sheds water well

IMG_20220210_095935.jpg

Last edited:
Back