BT - sharp practice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I type this once more using a piece of wet string. So painfully slow. Why?

It all started, apparently, on 8th Sept when BT decided to 'upgrade' our local exchange to 2Mb. The story as relayed to me by the local broadband 'champion' was that BT had been rolling this technology out and were well aware of software/hardware incompatibilities. Sadly they forgot to tell the engineers upgrading our exchange and so since 8th Sept all subscribers on this exchange have had no/variable broadband access. A veritable dogs dinner.

We seemed to be OK but then this week we lost broadband on Tuesday. My wife thought it was a local issue to our system and so waited until the weekend for me to sort out.

Speaking to Zen, I discover that BT have 'ceased' our broadband connection and that there's nothing Zen can do until Monday when their provisioning people can talk to the BT provisioning people.

Why is the line 'ceased' by BT? Well, here is the sharp practice (allegedly). BT have service levels and targets to meet. Seven days is the time taken to fix a fault..otherwise presumably they get penalised by Ofcom or whoever..

So, because sometimes they have made a pigs ear of things (as in the case of our exchange upgrade) they realise that they won't meet the 7 day deadline. And so they have (allegedly) a sneaky piece of software that goes around all the lines affected by the fault and ceases them...so the faults all disappear and they have met their targets. :evil: Needless to say a wee letter to Ofcom will take place..

They must have been watching "Bodies" (BBC2 Saturday) - taking lessons from Tony on how to reduce patient waiting lists - make another list and transfer them to it!

BTW, my dear wife ceased my Broadband connection last Sunday :eek: - she was pruning and discovered that it's not secateur-proof! "I was worried about the ivy growing in the corner." A terminal block, some weatherproofing wrap and up and running within 20 minutes - a slightly easier fix than you will have, I suspect - good luck!

Ray.

Back