BT broadband upgrades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

For those of you on BT broadband (basic, regular or yahoo), you may be interested in knowing that BT started a customer-wide bandwidth upgrade on 17th Feb, due to finish within 5 weeks of that date.

Details at this web page here

Broadly, for non-basic subs on 512k, you'll be going to (up to*) 2Mb, basic subs going to 1Mb, no extra costs...sounds good to me

* depending on line quality, and all other usual caveats.

I'm sitting here counting down the hours to when we're finally supposed to be getting landline broadband. The trouble is we are a long, long way from the exchange.. :cry:

Midnight tomorrow is the witching hour. We've been on satellite b'band but it's now too expensive.

ntl is supposed to changing their speeds this month e.g. 300k to 1million but with a 3gig cap.
What I like to know is what happens when you reach your limit before the month is up, do they lower your speed to 56k or charge you more ( thats more like ntl) or cut you off?

Check the small print.

Your number one ntl & Telewest cable resource.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/

Signal":37str07a said:
Watch the BT upgrade.

Theyre upping to 2Mb/s but dropping monthly bandwidth to 15GB as opposed to 30GB.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/14/bt_upgrade/

Half as much twice as fast :x

Signal

I've always only had 15Gb limit - there are 2 BT Yahoo bands, one with 15Gb limit (which stays at 15Gb) and one with 30, which also stays at 30. Don't know about the non-yahoo version, but I'm pretty sure that had a 15Gb limit before they started this upgrade process.

chiba":15dhlu5f said:
Download limits?! That sucks. Badly. :evil:

I have a limit of 1GB per month (cheapest broadband option) with 4 people using it and don't use 20% of that most months (even with this forum mod lark :wink: )!!!

Not many people would struggle with 15GB per month download limit

If all you're going to do is surf, you may as well have ISDN. The point of broadband (for me at least) is that I can be on the company LAN as a regular user, drag CD images off vendor sites (and huge PDFs of documentation), VC with my friends and family, play online games, watch the news, listen to CD quality radio, get some tunes off iTMS, etc, etc. Half a gig a day ain't going to cut it. And I'm not even in Korea, consumers of bandwidth par excellence. If you've got it, use it! :D

except ISDN costs a fortune in the UK, and the bandwidth's rubbish :D

I use my broadband for home-working, connected to the corporate lan, and find 15Gb a month more than enough!

My business partner was on 1Mb with 30GB restriction, just about coped with that.

They have kindly doulbed his BW and reduced him to 15GB so that means if he stays with BT for half the month he isnt going to be able to work.

The only way he can increase his limit is by moving to yet another tarrif and they will penalise him for the remainder of the current tariff.

Im am unlimited, forntunately, and am using between 60 and 100GB / month depending on how busy I am.

Bye bye BT

Hmm, according to the BT web-site, the 1Mb service (as was) was the only one with the 30Gb limit, and their table says it's still 30Gb!

BT":39f78xru said:
Please note: only the speed will change. All other features of your Broadband from BT package remain the same.

Hey ho, what do I know? lol
2Mb & 15Gb is good enough for my needs :D

BT have just upped my broadband to 2.2gig and I have not noticed any real difference in speed.
They have now capped me at 30gig per month and this is going to cause me real problems.
Their capping does not apply to just download traffic but to total traffic i.e. up and down!!
Running a website means that I receive an enormous amount of spam and of course this counts towards that traffic.

Regards aldel

Lets get a few things in context here. Broadband is a contended service, ie, you are sharing your 500kbps or whatever with a number of other users, sometimes several hundred(Dependent on supplier). If you are fortunate enough not to be downloading large chunks of data or fighting with Billy round the corner playing Doom oline then the increase may seem irrelevant. However, if the contention ratio stays the same, you have a greater chance of getting the bandwidth that you did not previously.
A point also worthy of not that in a TCPIP network, you are always as slow as the weakest link. If your target website or email host has only 64K access to the Internet backbone, any increase in your access speed will have no impact on your access to your home site.

Rgds

The Wiz

Hey, that *is* my spare time! :shock:

Seven years ago, Japan had BT style broadband (worse, actually). Within 5 years 12-20 meg broadband was around for about 18 quid a month. Now it's up to 50 meg. All uncapped, of course.

My prediction:
By 2010 in the UK you'll have at least 8 meg uncapped broadband for, say, 20 quid a month. 8-12 Mbps is, IMHO, the lowest speed that can legitimately be called "broad" band. I had that for a while and never felt constrained by it. For home use there's little noticeable difference going from that to 100 meg fibre. Up speed is at least a meg, which will handle even quite a high traffic webserver with no issues (unless you want to stream video).

All you've got to do is wait...

Latest posts

Back