BS500 or scheppach saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdo

Reaction score
Hi need help. Iam in the market for a bansaw is there anyone out there who owns a record BS500 or a scheppach 5/2 i am interested in how good the lower blade guides are and how easy they are to adjust on both saws would appreciate any feed back on these 2 saws

Dev, what's the point of PMing somebody when an opinion can be of use to others who are contemplating a BS purchase? Come on, spill the beans!!

Noel

I have the Basato 5-4 which is the same as the 5-2 but a 4 speed.
The guides are easy to get at and adjust, I've not had it long enough yet to give a really good evaluation, but first impressions, I like it, mainly because the table is big 640 x 640 cast iron, the fence is sturdy and very adjustable to set up accurately and the table tilts both ways -20% +45%. It comes without a wheel kit though.

I bought it 2nd hand just recently, I'm not sure I would fork out the £1300 ish for a new one though. I'm cutting some 8" x 8" oak beams next week so I'll be able to see if cuts the mustard on big timbers.

Hope this helps ?.

the BS500 scored 4and a half out of 5 for value for money and 4and a half for performance the deal at the minute is 999 for saw wheel kit and dx4000 dust extractor which seems a good deal. felderman is it too cheeky to ask how much you paid for your scheppach second hand

Felderman:
I've thought about the big band saws and then I thought how would I be able to lift an 8"x8" oak beam 10 foot long :) I have heard of some bandsaw makes that the table needs a prop also when putting on these heavy weight lumps.

Noel: I told Weirdo that I had a lemon. I could not get my lower bearings parallel to the blade.

hi devonwoody when you sent your lemon back what did you replace it with. and was access to the lower guides good even though you had problems with adjustment. my problem at the moment is that none of the nearest dealers has one on display

weirdo.

I haven't replaced the saw as yet, would have gone to the show next week at Exeter but will not pay an entrance fee :wink: . So if a manufacturer wants to send me a complimentary ticket I would be pleased to come along and look at their saw.

Access to the BS500 lower bearings would have not been difficult or awkward in my opinion, but I would definately only purchase if machine was assembled and checked out before purchase. Some of this far eastern stuff is just slung together.

Back