Brush-cutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
I fed up with struggling with my petrol strimmer on loads of tough stuff in the orchard. It cuts grass and slightly thicker stuff fine (as you'd expect) but the plastic cord tangles and pulls through whenever it meets thicker/stronger vegetation.

So I've been looking for a brush-cutter but seem to have run up against a whole host of Asian re-badged lookalikes. They're probably fine but I'd value a recommendation from someone who has been down this road before me. Can anyone help please?

I have a Honda powered one - badged as Alpine and can't fault it. Worth looking on EBay. Something will come up no doubt localish.

I am tempted to sell mine as it doesn't get enough use nowadays - but need to get a new harness. But then you know what will happen - Wifey will go mental when something else "green" turns up! LOL

Dibs

Might be worth checking if you can get a metal blade to replace the strimmer cartridge, I think some makes such as Stihl do this option ?

Cheers, Paul

I'll keep an eye on eBay. Unfortunately my Ryobi strimmer is the wrong model to change heads. With my polyfibromyalgia a scythe is out of the question.

RogerP,

Last year I hired a brush cutter to help clear out a paddock which had been let go for too long.....hire fees were Ok only extra expense was the cost of a blade.

Al

beech1948":1ibe2akd said:
RogerP,
Last year I hired a brush cutter to help clear out a paddock which had been let go for too long.....hire fees were Ok only extra expense was the cost of a blade.
Al
That's a good thought I'll make some enquires. :)

I have a Tanaka (Japanese) bushcutter cos i couldnt quite stretch to a Honda, but 5 years on no regrets. interchangeable heads from blade to line in minutes. worth a look.

I really don't know why the population of the UK is so frightened with 'Asian' goods, Asia is the largest continent in the world and to say everything it spawns is rubbish is grossly wrong, have a look around the house and list everything which has originated out of Asia, you may be in for a shock.
The reason imported items from this part of the world is cheaper is because the workers are willing to work, and produce quality goods, for a wage which allows the country to build a manufacturing industry thereby creating wealth, it will be repaid in full, look at Japan, Singapore etc. If this were the same in the UK maybe manufacturing companies wouldn't be making rapid exits from the country before they have a strike on their hands.
I have a Sanli chain saw made in China and cannot fault it, starts from cold without the choke, it is for home use and not designed for professional use but I have read reviews from professional tree surgeons recommending the said saw, price,,,,,£95 and that is after manufacture, shipping and then retailing.
Anything made in Britain of some quality costs the earth and anything made in Britain matching the Asian price tag will be guaranteed to be of inferior quality.

Why do you think that most of the 'British' named goods have a 'Made in China' label stuck to them? the manufacturer just cannot afford the British worker and his demands, there was one on the Jeremy Vine show on radio two the other day demanding a law be brought in to allow workers time off if their pet dies, say no more.

Andy

I bought a top-of-the-range Honda 6 years ago and have never regreted it. It came with both the strimmer and brush cutter attachments - but I have only ever used the brush cutter. It will knock out saplings of up to 1" diameter without pausing for breath. The harness (essential) is very comfortable and easily adjusted. On the odd occasion that I stall the cutter (by trying to cut too much at any one "bite", I can restart without removing it from the harness which is a great boon.
When this finally goes belly-up, I would be tempted to get another.

andersonec":3qio4z92 said:
I really don't know why the population of the UK is so frightened with 'Asian' goods, Asia is the largest continent in the world and to say everything it spawns is rubbish is grossly wrong, have a look around the house and list everything which has originated out of Asia, you may be in for a shock.
Andy

Well that's a jolly fine rant but did anyone say they were frightened of Asian goods or that they were rubbish? I said I thought "They're probably fine but I'd value a recommendation from someone who has been down this road before me". When confronted by many almost identical but differently branded imported items it's handy to get the experience of others. That's all :)

RogerP":2lkbsdgb said:
andersonec":2lkbsdgb said:
Andy

Well that's a jolly fine rant but did anyone say they were frightened of Asian goods or that they were rubbish? I said I thought "They're probably fine but I'd value a recommendation from someone who has been down this road before me". When confronted by many almost identical but differently branded imported items it's handy to get the experience of others. That's all :)

Roger,

Apologies if it sounded like I was having a go at you, not so, just the often "Chinese import rubbish" quote, if it's plastic yes but most of the stuff built for industry and work, in my opinion is good value for money and if used for the purpose intended, treated and maintained properly will give good service.

Andy

I've used both Honda and Stihl brushcutters and both had pros and cons, although they were different sized machines and I can't remember the models

Honda
Pros:
4 stroke engine so takes regular unleaded straight from the pump
smaller engine so hard to compare, but
quieter
lighter
easier to start - could be easily pull started whilst being carried by the harness so less need to remove, saving time. Also saves energy whilst pulling

Cons:
Again, model dependent, but smaller engine so can get clogged when tackling thicker undergrowth and long wet grass - Had to take smaller cuts and even then the head got tangled and I needed to stop about 5 times per 30 minutes.

Stihl
Pros:
2 models used - one large, one slightly smaller
Both more powerful than the Honda
The large one powers through brambles, nettles, small saplings, the small one got a little bogged down in long wet grass.
You may have other tools such as chainsaws which use the same fuel mix, saving having multiple cans
If you're ever going to be tackling larger stuff like gorse you can fit a clearing saw.

Cons:
2 stroke engine so you need to mix unleaded with 2 stroke oil
More expensive.

I've only every used the ones with bull-horn handles but have had no issues with that - they're really comfortable to use for long periods e.g. 4+ hours.
I've only every used them with the 3 prong metal blades.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. I think I'll keep an eye on eBay for a week or two just in case I can find high end one at a reasonable price.

Back