Brumock/billhook handle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will42

Reaction score
I have this old brumock/billhook with a slightly wobbly handle does anyone know what glue i could put in there along with a wedge?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 0
Not a recommendation, but mine, in similar state, is held together with duct tape, which is surprisingly comfortable!
Haven't heard the term Brummock for a very long time! (I'm originally from the Ludlow area)

Not a recommendation, but mine, in similar state, is held together with duct tape, which is surprisingly comfortable!
Haven't heard the term Brummock for a very long time! (I'm originally from the Ludlow area)
Same here im ludlow area ish im in powys by newtown ive grown up saying it. I am trying to not duck tape it yet if i can find a way which makes it look origibal again im going to try that but if all else fails i bringing out the duct tape. Thanks for your reply.

You won't be able to drive a wedge in, as the tang of the billhook goes all the way through the handle. I would peen the tang over a bit more and leave the billhook outside to make the handle swell up a bit.

Same as mine I have a jubilee clip where the brass ferrule should be.The steel is very hard and takes and keeps the edge very well.
Tony

Mine is made by Cornelius Whitehead and son of Cannock. Hedgehog brand 11ins. There is a quarter inch nut on the tang at the end of the handle that keeps it tight. There is not one in your photograph , should there be?

Last edited:
If you can take the handle off without wrecking it you could pare a bit off nearest the blade so the tang can seat a bit tighter. Then find a penny washer with a hole smaller than the end of the tang and file the hole square so it fits on the end of the tang by a few mm. Carve out a dip in the end of the handle to take the washer.
Assemble the handle and refit it to the blade, drop the washer on then peen the end of the tang over so it pushes the washer up the handle tightening everything

If you can take the handle off without wrecking it you could pare a bit off nearest the blade so the tang can seat a bit tighter. Then find a penny washer with a hole smaller than the end of the tang and file the hole square so it fits on the end of the tang by a few mm. Carve out a dip in the end of the handle to take the washer.
Assemble the handle and refit it to the blade, drop the washer on then peen the end of the tang over so it pushes the washer up the handle tightening everything
Or if you've got the handle off anyway, start from scratch and carve a new one out of a nice straight grained piece of ash. Saturate it with linseed oil, fit it as described above and, as my Grandfather said, and I am increasingly saying "it'll last my bit of time".

If you don’t want to replace the handle the crack is the main thing to deal with as it’ll flex open and shut. If it pinches your palm in the process you’ll know about it. Rather than duct tape, a binding of string soaked in glue is a way of wrapping the crack which both holds it together and gives something to grip

If you don’t want to replace the handle the crack is the main thing to deal with as it’ll flex open and shut. If it pinches your palm in the process you’ll know about it. Rather than duct tape, a binding of string soaked in glue is a way of wrapping the crack which both holds it together and gives something to grip
Perfectionist!! Duct tape is a lot quicker!

Latest posts

Back