Browser probs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently installed Firefox (a month or so ago) but in the last couple of days I have noticed when refreshing pages that it comes up with a message saying that it can't find the website (happens with any). If I try again sometimes it finds it and sometimes it doesn't. I opened up IE to check and it seems to ahve the same prob. I don't run the two together so I don't think there is a conflict there. I've run my Virus protection (Norton and its up to date) plus Spybot etc but that doesn't seem to work.

The only surefire way around it seems to be reboot.

I am running XP Home edition 2002 version with SP1

I'm not a total luddite but I'm no techy either so be gentle with your advice in terms of solutions -if you have any.

Cheers

Tim

Tim: are you on broadband? If so, it might just be the router/modem. Mine sometimes 'locks up', and gives me this error. My solution is to turn it off for long enough for the internal capacitors etc to completely discharge (approx 10 secs) and then back on. If that doesn't work, a reset to factory defaults does it, but will need a little more re-configuring afterwards...

HTH

Yeah i get that sometimes when using my router... Sometimes it i have to connect it by going to the routers page (mines 192.168.2.1) and connecting that way...

What internet set up do you have??

Ta

Tom

I get that too. I just refesh the page a few times and it shows up.

Tried nearly everything to fix it but no luck. I'm hoping netgear will release a firmware upgrade soon.

Glad it's not only me though :)

Hi all

Charley":31c8lu4l said:
Tried nearly everything to fix it but no luck. I'm hoping netgear will release a firmware upgrade soon.

You should get a Sonicwall. :wink:

Oh, by the way, I know someone who sells them. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

Broadband! Broadband! No - just a damp piece of string here - no option of anything else until July either.

The only routers I have are by DeWalt and Bosch.

Are there any other solutions for modem connections?

Cheers

T

Tim, same problem here, same browser, same damp string. If it keeps not finding it, I just log off and reconnect. Usually that's worked. Other than that I just put it down to the irritating ways of 'puters, and simply ](*,) to relieve the annoyance.

Philosophically, Alf

Alf,

Is it a recent thing or not?

Maybe its just a way that my computer knows that it could get the chance to fly!! :twisted:

Cheers

Tim

If multiple browsers are having the same problem, then it's likely to be a DNS problem. A DNS (domain name server) is a thing that translates URLs into real IP addresses for routing HTTP requests across the internet (granny & eggs standard apology here). There are, I think, 6 master DNSs out in the internet, and each ISP has multiple of their own, which refresh from the masters periodically. If an ISP is having problem, or aren't refreshing properly, then that would lead to the problems you're seeing.

If you're behind a router, then typically the router would present itself to your computer as the DNS, and proxy DNS lookups to your ISP. If you're having problems behind the router, then it could be either the ISP or the router itself not proxying properly.

[edit follows]oh, could also be a general routing problem in the ISP too - having used the DNS to get the IP address, then your computer then has to do an address resolution (ARP) to get the MAC address corresponding to the IP address - that could be failing. Or, having determined the MAC address, the routing of the HTTP GET could also be failing, although that's unlikely if the ARP succeeded.

Espedair Street":ir0s5bu2 said:
If multiple browsers are having the same problem, then it's likely to be a DNS problem. A DNS (domain name server) is a thing that translates URLs into real IP addresses for routing HTTP requests across the internet (granny & eggs standard apology here). There are, I think, 6 master DNSs out in the internet, and each ISP has multiple of their own, which refresh from the masters periodically. If an ISP is having problem, or aren't refreshing properly, then that would lead to the problems you're seeing.

If you're behind a router, then typically the router would present itself to your computer as the DNS, and proxy DNS lookups to your ISP. If you're having problems behind the router, then it could be either the ISP or the router itself not proxying properly.

[edit follows]oh, could also be a general routing problem in the ISP too - having used the DNS to get the IP address, then your computer then has to do an address resolution (ARP) to get the MAC address corresponding to the IP address - that could be failing. Or, having determined the MAC address, the routing of the HTTP GET could also be failing, although that's unlikely if the ARP succeeded.

Oh I see now and know exactly what to do :^o

Cheers

T

Hi,

Presume you've all cleared your caches before trying to reload the offending pages (apologies to egg-sucking grandmothers) - can save banging head on nearest wall. ](*,)

Col.

Couldn't find the Post Office website this morning - I know it exists! - browser (IE) said it didn't. Turned up again later. Must be one of the many great unsolved mysteries of the www.

Col.

tim:

SP1???

you really need SP2 for a whole bunch of IE updates.

may not be the problem, but then again the "bill`s mockery" is bad enough WITH the updates let-alone without them :?

I have SP2 on cd, PM me if you want...............

steve

Thanks for the very kind offer Steve.

I have not heard much positive said about SP2 - seems to cause more glitches, crashes and conflicts than it solves.

Anyone else got a view?

Cheers

Tim

I have it - seems ok to me: still get the 'random' failure to connect though..

Back