Browser probs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tim":3a259onx said:
Thanks for the very kind offer Steve.

I have not heard much positive said about SP2 - seems to cause more glitches, crashes and conflicts than it solves.

Anyone else got a view?

Cheers

Tim

I would advise go with SP2, most problems were with second party software that was cutting corners or that originators had not updated to incorporate the new security measures.

I run three machines at home and there are five in the room I am currently using all installed with the latest updates possible, only problems encountered are with old software that is trying to use undocumented short cuts or procedures that could cause security problems.

But remember SP2 is not the end of the update route, you need to go to the MS site for all the latest updates as well.

Also if you use "office" products then they should be updated as well.

Tim

IMHO..given that you're on dial-up I would not bother to go the full SP2 route.

Have you downloaded any recent patches from Microsoft that might have caused your problem?

This sort of problem is sometimes caused by having IPv6 running (you don't need it yet) as some sites do not report back correctly during the DNS stuff.

Go to Control Panel/Add/remove programs...then click on add/remove windows components and then select network ...then details. See if IPv6 is mentioned anywhere. If so let me know

Roger

Roger":1l5ivo9y said:
Go to Control Panel/Add/remove programs...then click on add/remove windows components and then select network ...then details. See if IPv6 is mentioned anywhere. If so let me know

Not that I can see. I also had removed automatic updates ages ago when it kept trying to force massive updates down the damp string that had no tangible benefit to me or the system.

The only thing I have on autodownload is my Norton AV/ Live updates.

A major overhaul wil occur in July when i finally get broadband but until then if there are any quick fixes then that woudl be great. I haven't downloaded anything that would obviously affect this since well before the problem started.

Cheers

Tim

SP2 will shortly be essential if you want any more updates from Microsoft. I understand you will not be able to use the Windows Update service with unpatched installations.

IIRC the driving force for this is to eliminate all the 'pirate' copies of XP etc out there.

While not condoning piracy I can't help feel that this stance is only going to end up with more, rather than less, PCs out there that are vulnerable to attack...which can then be used for DoS attacks on websites etc. In other words, make life that bit worse for the rest of us who regularly use the Internet.

Tim - what are the exact error words that you get? Have you tried entering them into Google or Microsoft support site?

"Page cannot be displayed" yields suggestions like the index.dat file being corrupted.

index.dat is used for indexing the cache - deleting the cache, history and cookies would sort that out.

Agreed but I believe you have to do it from a different user?

Deleting index.dat was just one suggestion from a quick look at M'ofts' support site for Tim's problem.

Tim
Do you know if you have been using Microsoft Java at all? If you have (on older earlier release MS software) you'll probably need to change IE settings before IE works again on certain sites.

Current MS updates no longer include Java (they are no longer allowed to) Java can be downloaded from the SUN site. Edit: Use caution with Sun Java if you do not understand consequences, see warning from Espedair Street below.

Don't see as how this would give you random access to sites though.

SP2 is security fixes such a as decent firewall - no more than that.

oh, except it was 'buggy' in the first release :lol:

I don't have SP2 on any PCs despite having it available on CD due to the very bad press it got in the tech newsletters I subscribe to - if there is one thing Microsoft cannot do, it is security!

Roger":44cirnpl said:
Tim - what are the exact error words that you get? Have you tried entering them into Google or Microsoft support site?

Something like: 'unable to find www.ukworkshop.co.uk' or whatever site I'm looking for.

CHJ":44cirnpl said:
Do you know if you have been using Microsoft Java at all? If you have (on older earlier release MS software) you'll probably need to change IE settings before IE works again on certain sites.

Its seems to be more a Firefox prob

My reasons for not using SP2 are the same as Tony's.

Cheers

Tim

CHJ":2y4jg2am said:
Current MS updates no longer include Java (they are no longer allowed to) Java can be downloaded from the SUN site.

Careful with that - there are a HUGE number of websites out there, whose designers and developers need shooting, which don't work with Sun's J2RE - they only work with MS's Java VM. Criminal, I know, but the number of sites I encounter that don't work with Mozilla based browsers because of rubbish java programing is unbelievable!

Espedair Street":3axelofu said:
CHJ":3axelofu said:
Current MS updates no longer include Java (they are no longer allowed to) Java can be downloaded from the SUN site.

Careful with that - there are a HUGE number of websites out there, whose designers and developers need shooting, which don't work with Sun's J2RE - they only work with MS's Java VM. Criminal, I know, but the number of sites I encounter that don't work with Mozilla based browsers because of rubbish java programing is unbelievable!

Point taken Espedair Street perhaps I should have been a little more cautionary with my pointer. I personally have not downloaded anything from SUN and see no reason to for anything I currently access.

(will amend comment)

Back