brook planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkymarky

Established Member
Reaction score
after a search on the forum with little mentioned about brook planes i thought i would do a small show and tell (mini review) of the no7 brook jointer.

brookplane.jpg

DSCF2253.jpg

i bought both a the no7 brook plane and a no80 stanley scraper plane on ebay a week ago as i have been looking for a good condition scraper, thinking the no7 plane would be useless chinese tat i was going to sell the brook on again as the two items only cost £10 after all :wink:
to my amazement the brook 7 worked a treat with no fettling required (the previous owner however had sharpened the living daylights out of the blade) producing good thick full width shavings on kiln dried american oak without a problem.
the pros, a stable flat soled plane, with the blade adjustment mech`s being quite tight and of a relativity good quality, the chip breaker is thick and ground precisely keeping the blade stable and chatter free. the blade is only 2.2mm thick but takes and holds a sharp edge as well as any older stanley, also worth mentioning the cap iron with the screw adjustment rather than a lever, i like it but only an opinion.
the cons, handles are of the cheap chinese type making the plane look like a cheap knock off and the lateral adjustment is just awful, pressed and steel chromium plated. considering the quality of everything else on the plane this could of have been better.
conclusion, if you are in the market for a cheap jointer perhaps for site work or light home workshop use this plane would be ideal as good and as cheap i`m sure as any 2nd hand stanley no7, not in my opinion to be confused with the cheaper chinese copies floating around.
looking at the tilgear website this may not be the same with the other line of planes no4 and up though.

cheers, mark.

It would seem that the Chinese can do a good job, as long as the specification they're given is tight, and the supervision good.

If you fancy replacing the handles, Crown Tools do rosewood ones. Axminster stock 'em - £23 for handle and knob. Go on - it'll triple the value of your plane!

triple the value but cost three times more than the plane did :D
i think there`s a handle and knob making exercise there somewhere.

ps. turns out this plane is indian not chinese, information gained from a mysterious disappearing post in the thread.

sparkymarky":3nf8van7 said:
triple the value but cost three times more than the plane did :D
i think there`s a handle and knob making exercise there somewhere.

ps. turns out this plane is indian not chinese, information gained from a mysterious disappearing post in the thread.

Check out Alf's blog. There be articles... One on making a plane handle, or tote. Well explained .
HTH

:D

Back