Bronze Plane ID?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
My Dad has asked me to sharpen and set one of my Grandfather's old planes. I haven't seen a similar one before, and was hoping one of the board's human tool encyclopedias may have an idea of its age or origin :)

In size, it's about an inch shorter than my Stanley 4 1/2. The adjuster is not like the normal Bailey style, depth only with no lateral adjustment possible. Body, frog and lever all seem to be bronze.

There aren't any makers marks visible on blade or body (although it's possible one may be obscured by grime) - the blade is a touch thicker than the standard Stanley.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Attachments

• HPIM2601.JPG
    HPIM2601.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 959
  • HPIM2602.JPG
    HPIM2602.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 959
  • HPIM2603.JPG
    HPIM2603.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 959
  • HPIM2604.JPG
    HPIM2604.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 959
Looks like a GTL plane to me...

CLICK HERE AND GO DOWN THE PAGE

The ones with the "Norris Type" adjuster are quite sought after and go for a few squids on FleaBay nowadays. EBAY EXAMPLE CLICK HERE

Not really a Ferrari of planes but interesting on a number of points...not the least of which you could buy one in instalments!

Post some pictures when you restore it but my suggestion is use MAAS polish NOT Brasso or coarse abrasives and don't "polish it to death"....

They look better clean with the original patina but it's really up to your Dad and how he wants it.

Nice because of the family history.

Jim

That's brilliant - thanks Jim.

I've had a look at some of the other GTL threads now and it seems I have a bit of a challenge ahead!

I just popped out to the shed to check - I think that must have just been a cat hair floating past the camera. The plane is in very good nick, apart from grime / patina and a very blunt iron.

Jim

file.php

Looks like it extends through the plane and the wood and is seen hanging below the wood.
I thought it was a crack too until I looked more closely.

Toby

Back