Bronze Cast Bullnose. Bit of progress, some advice required.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I'm a bit lost about the steel sole question, I understand the question but I'm not sure if you are still thinking of applying an an on sole.
The point of my post. I remember, some fifty years ago, joining two lumps of steel to allow them to be machined as one. The method was to use solder paste on the surfaces to be joined, clamping and applying heat. Others may have used the method more recently or know more about it.
xy

Thanks XY, I'm guessing at the moment i will use an epoxy and pein some small rods into pre drilled holes in the sole to keep it in place then file down. The thing is I also feel like I'm taking the sensible but easy option.I have the smoother to do at some point which has a sole many times bigger. Not sure epoxy will do for that. Thinking is that I don't mess this one up but practice soldering on some scrap before i attempt the smoother. Cheers
Chris

Phil, I remember you posting about this before mate, thanks. I will need to do some research. Off to have a wander round the internet. Cheers bud.

Very large lathes etc. nowadays they are often stuck together with epoxy rather than welded, it's stronger. i don't think you need worry about the sole of a plane. I think you are making work for yourself - just get some JB Weld or similar that it designed to stick metal (although I don't know why it's different) clean your metal well, glue and gently pinch it in a vice.

Bm101":305lq18p said:
Thanks XY, I'm guessing at the moment i will use an epoxy and pein some small rods into pre drilled holes in the sole to keep it in place then file down. The thing is I also feel like I'm taking the sensible but easy option.I have the smoother to do at some point which has a sole many times bigger. Not sure epoxy will do for that. Thinking is that I don't mess this one up but practice soldering on some scrap before i attempt the smoother. Cheers
Chris

Great stuff. It's always good to have a decision made. I look forward to seeing the rest of the Bullnose come to completion.
xy

JB Weld is what I used - it is absolutely solid and about 100 times easier than sweating the sole on. Promise I will start again soon :)

Back