Broken turning tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Gibbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone suffered chattering or broken turning tools, particularly the tangs on roughing gouges?

I've been a victim of the 'mother and father of all dig-ins' that split the tool handle and bent the ferrule but never managed to break the steel itself - must try harder! :)

Jim

When I was at school they used ground down files as scrapers. I was turning the inside of a bowl and someone spoke to me, as I turned to them I dug the tool into the bowl and snapped the tool at the tang, also shot the bowl accross the room as the joint to the glueblock failed.

I didn't get told off as it was the teacher that had spoken to me and caused the distraction :wink:

Jason

Bent a parting tool :oops: but never managed to actually break a tool before !
Just a thought your not trying to use a roughing gouge on a bowl, only reason I ask is because I did this a couple of times when I was starting out and didn't know not too. Never broke it but did get it thrown across the room and stuck in the wall :eek:

cd

What brand of tool was it? If it was a cheapo unbranded type, then it was probably a defect. If it was a pukka brand, then I would suggest that it was probably due to a defect in your technique. Can you give us some more details, and we may be able to shed some light.

Regards
Gary

O M G :shock:

Nick,
a light touch, allowing the tool to do the cutting doesn't lead to tool break nightmares 8) ...even with sheet tools

Back