Broken Makita Bench saw!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobWingwang

Established Member
Reaction score
Well it seems my makita MLT100 table saw has packed up again. It's been in for two warranty repairs already, but now the warranty's expired (just) it seems to be well and truly dead. To be honest it just wasn't up to the job, despite it being rated "industrial".

The motor suddenly started making a ridiculous amount of noise (even more than normal!). On inspection, the shaft is protruding from the motor by about 5mm more than usual, to the point where blade removal is impossible. If it's fixable, it's probably beyond my mechanical abilities.

A new motor costs £180 from Makita, so i was wondering if i could buy an alternative universal motor elsewhere for less.
Does anybody know if these are pretty standard motors, i.e: interchangable across brands?
If not i may as well skip it. The only thing salvagable is the push-stick! Anybody need any spare parts?

Get on to head office

Speak to as high a manager as possible

Tell them its been trouble ever since you purchased it and that this is the 3rd time its gone wrong

Give them the " I purchased it on Makita's reputation " a Professional tool etc etc and that you feel so let down :(

don't let it go , you will get somewhere

Actually, thinking about it, this is a fairly new machine, as i received a replacement went the original one was written off (the second time i sent it back).
Surely the warranty should start over, as otherwise i'd have been better off insisting on a refund?

I shall kick Makita's ass, metaphorically, as in, by email, tomorrow.

Sorry Bob but warranties start with the original purchase an terminate at the stated date from that purchase.
The motor may be repairable but I would follow Blister's advise first and create merry hell!
I've just had a similar event with a chop saw, first the plastic guard broke, then the blade end motor bearing failed, all within 2 weeks!

Roy.

Hi Bob
did you buy the saw new? Warranties are fine in as far as they go, but are actually designed to try to limit a manufacturers liability more than offer you benefits beyond your legal rights. Anything sold in this country must be of merchantable quality and fit for it's designed purpose. If this saw is just over a year old and now unservicable after only having light hobby use it can not be considered to be either of these. You have a definite case to reject the goods. Try the manufactuturer by all means but your contract is with the supplier ie. the retailer from whom you purchased the item. Write to them outlining the problem and rejecting the goods on the basis that they are not of merchantable quality and demand a refund. You must take reasonable care of the goods and return them in good condition to the retailer, excepting the fault that has caused this issue, on the basis you are rejecting the goods you must not continue to use them but should return them immediately. if the goods where delivered and it is not practical for you to return them you must write to the supplier asking them to uplift the item within a reasonable time, say 28 days. If they do not play ball you will have to claim for re-imbursment through the small claim court. a simple enough procedure, but I doubt it will come to this.

Hope this helps

Richard

Hello Bob,

I'm surprised to hear you are having so much bother with your machine. I have the 2704 & I am really pleased with it although the blade is a bit too thin & tends to wobble every now & then which makes the cut slightly uneven in places.

It seems that it would be an uneconomical repair but if you are otherwise happy with the build quality I'd try looking to find a local motor rewinder/repairer/supplier for their opinion on getting a better motor or preventing a new one from failing.

Also the motor may have a design fault or be part of a bad batch (as per bosch cordless drills) & so perhaps go down that line of enquiry with Makita (Bosch to their credit were sympathetic).

good luck

Hi Bob

I agree with Richard S take the matter up with the supplier, I had a dishwasher that was just out of guarantee (I think by only a month or two) I contacted the supplier (Comet) who sent out an engineer, the engineer said I should have purchased an extended guarantee, I hadn't but they repaired it free of charge because I said it was my understanding that they only sold premium products which should last longer than 13 months.
Hope this helps.

Stew

Back