Broken Clifton Yoke

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Simon

Established Member
Reaction score
Horror! Just took my Clifton 5 1/2 out of the cupboard, started to adjust the blade and there was a little tinkle as half the yoke casting hit the floor.
What on earth do I do? I've had it about 28 months and so way out of any guarantee period and no one seems to list these as spares. I could try to braze it but I'm not sure what its made of.
Has anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions please.
Simon

Clifton sorted me out when I had a twisted plane iron, they even set me a set of cabinet scrapers for the inconvenience, so I'd hope they would sort your problem too. If not, Workshop Heaven do them for £4.70 they are listed under Clifton Plane Irons.

Chris

As others have said, contact Clifton and they will send you some spares. Their phone number is 0114 243 3007.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks for the advice, especially the phone number. They seem to keep rather a low profile. I feel calmer now. Will phone them tomorrow.
thanks
Simon

Don't worry Simon, you are not 'just a customer' you are a Clifton owner.

The Y lever is a failsafe for the whole adjustment system, much easier to fix than stripping the threads on the rod that sticks out of the frog which would be the next weakest link. They may well recommend that you take a little tension off the lever cap screw to prevent the problem re-occurring.

When you fit the new yoke be careful to drift the tapered pin out by tapping the narrow end and then get it the right way around when reinstalling, as long as you get that bit right it's a two minute job.

Back