Brochure thread 3 (final thread)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the endless threads on the brochure but finally I think I have it sussed.

How about this

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4DWv_NRXh2AODU0MWIzY2ItYzZhZC00NDM4LTg5NmYtMzBjOWFjYTdkODdm

Could you guys proof read it and also give me some feed back on it.
A few things, 3 known spelling mistakes
1, yor instead of your page 13
2, Mahogany spelt wrong page 16
3, elegant spelt wrong page 17

I will also include our address under the Matching Green sign

Thanks

Very nice Bob. Can't see anything wrong with the text that hasn't already been spotted, but slipping on my old photography/design/print hat, I'd be a little concerned about the pictures on pages 6, 7(L), 9, 12 and 19 - they look a touch dark to me, and I think they'll fill in a bit when printed and look 'muddy'.

Will you be getting a printed (CMYK) proof before the final run, or is the PDF all you'll have to go by?

doctor Bob":2pxivb0f said:
I should get a printed poof
Bob
Be careful what you wish for !! :D
By the way, the oak dining table is beautiful in its simplicity, love it.
Cheers
Steve

Hey Bob - please don't take this the wrong way, but I find the whole thing underwhelming. Have you put this together one Word or something similar?

I don't like the whole photo, comment, photo comment nature of it. I think that you would be better off sub dividing the brochure into sections, and then adding the photos where necessary.

For Example:

Page 1 AJ - Background
Page 2 AJ - Ethics and Sustainability
Page 3 Kitchens: Design Process
Page 4 Kitchens: Manufacturing Process
etc
Page 7 Living Rooms: AV Rooms
Page 8 Living Rooms: Studys
etc
Page 10 Contact Details

Stu. xx.

Hi Bob,

The caption on page 21 reads "Oak table designed to seat 12, solid 80mm worktop". It's not a worktop it's a table top, so I would amend this to read "........, solid 80mm top".

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Aside from those things already mentioned -

Wording/spelling:

P8: "Where ever possible" should really be "Wherever possible". (Arguably it should be "Whenever possible", but that's less cut and dried.)

P16: I'd suggest changing "Leather top panels to give a" to "Leather top panels give a" - it's more assertive, which to me inspires confidence.

Graphic comments:

P8: I find it a little jarring to have a full stop between these two sentences, despite how correct it is, since there are no other sentences terminated by full stops in any of the other captions. I appreciate that full stops detract from the clean look so you don't want them everywhere (I feel a bit beret-wearing arts student, writing stuff like that, though!), perhaps the caption could be re-worded to something like "All our timber is prime quality; wherever possible we will use FSC-approved timber" to get the same meaning across and avoid two separate sentences?

P22: I find the captions look a bit messy and haphazard arranged around the photos like this; I'd suggest either moving the 'Keep things tidy' caption to between the top-right and bottom-right photos to balance out the captions, or simply sticking one beneath or atop each photo as on other pages.

I actually quite like the simple photo-and-caption-on-white presentation - I'm imagining something like a ~150gsm glossy B5 saddle or perfect-bound booklet?

Dr Bob, a guy so filthy rich that he has his own kennel of staff (not one of them can spell-alledgedly) not even his web designer), what better way to serve up a nice warm dollop of his own home made Christmas yule log, than allowing the good members of this forum to 'think' that they are helping him out with a little spelling help

take it away 'tards !

:lol:

Oh, and not forgetting the 'FREE' un solicited advertising

barkwindjammer":nqct7eu3 said:
Dr Bob, a guy so filthy rich that he has his own kennel of staff (not one of them can spell-alledgedly) not even his web designer), what better way to serve up a nice warm dollop of his own home made Christmas yule log, than allowing the good members of this forum to 'think' that they are helping him out with a little spelling help

take it away 'tards !

The feeble smiley does little to detract from the fact that this has to be one of the most mean-spirited posts of the year.

Sorry to state the obvious but there are a number of legally free editors easily found with google. It shouldn't take you long to find one that will do a bit of simple text editing. You can do a bit of trial and error without altering the original.

barkwindjammer":1xdh23rf said:

take it away 'tards !

Thats not a very nice post is it?

barkwindjammer":277gpqa4 said:

take it away 'tards !

WTF is that about? The bloke is asking for help. And what has his web designer got to do with anything? This is for a brochure.

Bob, the only thing that stands out for me is " where ever possible we use" etc. I believe both are acceptable, though 'wherever' is the more accepted.

Adam

barkwindjammer":354r2nn2 said:

take it away 'tards !

WTF is that about? The bloke is asking for help. And what has his web designer got to do with anything? This is for a brochure.

Bob, the only thing that stands out for me is " where ever possible we use" etc. I believe both are acceptable, though 'wherever' is the more accepted.

Adam

barkwindjammer":1z2c0ruk said:

take it away 'tards !

Adam

Just like to thank Bob (Lons) who has gone the extra mile with help on this one.

I'd like to respond to Barkwindjammer, your post seems to attack me for seeking free advertisement and all the forum members who offered assistance and advice and this apparently makes them retards.

I've been a member for years so everyone knows what I do, I have a number 1 position on google for most of my key words thanks to a good SEO guy who I pay reasonably well on a monthly basis, if I told him that I had spent all day trying to post a thread on my brochure which may have resulted in 10-20 hits on my website he would laugh his socks off.
I'm sorry if I've upset you. However I think you overstepped the mark calling all the members who offered assistance "retards".
Most guys have long memories on here, I know because I acted like a wally for quite a while on here, I don't think you have done yourself any favours.

Again, thanks especially to Bob and Roger.

Latest posts

Back