Broadband router needed with hard wired mains into

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right ,I need to put a broadband router extender in a position where there is ONLY the lighting circuit (6 amp).
NO 13 amp sockets.
I can put a spurred switch fuse (at 3 amp) off the lighting circuit.
Does anyone know of a router extender where the 240 v mains "in" is wires ? (they all seem to have a 13 amp plug pins).
I am not an electrician.

My son about five years ago wanted a floor standing lamp to come on with the main room lights. The electrician fitted a 5 amp socket which looks like one of these

https://www.toolstation.com/click-m...LN3PWwBuEEu06kjug47cEfu8r1Bx34BYaAkiyEALw_wcB
So it would appear that the principle of putting a 5 amp socket on a lighting circuit is allowed (or was about 5 years ago), whether the regulations require it to be switched by the lighting I do not know. It is also standard to have extractor fans wired to electrical circuits.

It is sensible for you to comply with the regulations, something which is safe for you does not necessarily mean it will be safe for the next user. Personally I would either ask an electrician or get an electrician to do it, this is not your standard situation. You could go on one of the electrical forums and see if an electrician will give you an answer.

If your 6 amp circuit is RCD protected and has a cpc(earth) then a 3 amp fused spur from the 6 amp circuit supplying a 13 amp socket is a perfectly safe way to proceed. Label the socket for it's specific use.
It may be safe for the current user but does it comply with the regulations? A future user could expect a 13 amp socket to provide 13 amps and may conclude that someone fitted the wrong fuse. Labels can wear off.

I have posted above what my son’s electrician did to provide a 5 amp socket off a lighting circuit. The 5 amp sockets and plugs are readily available.

On the basis I have limited electrical knowledge and as such cannot provide qualified electrical advice.
Just a thought about a 12v dc power supply not built into the plug.
Many a laptop psu had a mains plug with a figure of eight (might be called something else) socket on the other end which plugs into a laptop transformer, the transformer output side (has a jack plug socket) which in turn plugs into the laptop.
Remove the 13a plug and you could wire this to anywhere you like, perhaps into the 3amp fused spur the original poster suggested.

Last edited:
Back