Broadband - again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, sorry. Look away now if you're sick of dumb newbies asking fool questions. :oops:

Right, it's just possible TPTB have come round to the whole broadband idea - subject to BT actually delivering what they claim. [-o< So, having looked about the face of t'Net trying to find an economical, but not too lousy, provider and re-reading all the useful info from the previous threads here I'm tentatively looking at the following:

Pipex Solo 1000, 'cos in theory we might be able to have a 1Mb connection, and because there seems to be an excellent Pipex users site here which would appear to answer most questions before even the best customer support line. I looked at Zen, but with the VAT and set-up charge and all, it was getting too pricy, too quick.

Netgear DG834G router/modem/firewall jobbie. I didn't especially want a wireless one, but it seems to be fairly consistantly well spoken of, and I like the idea of the extra security a router gives as spoken of by you knowledgable folks. Or should I stick with the wirefull one? I sort of like the idea of wireless, except I'm not sure how useful it'd be in a house with 2' thick granite walls... :-k

Anyway, anyone got any definite "No, no, you fool. Don't do that" comments? Or am I on a reasonably okay track?

Cheers, Confused of Cornwall :roll:

Hey Alf
No advice on the BB side of things but the Netgear is a great piece of gear!
I also like the Belkin one-about £20 cheaper too!
Not sure I will be able to get used to the thought of you whizzing around the Net though! :wink: :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly":17klqylt said:
I also like the Belkin one-about £20 cheaper too!
Any chance of a model number or link...? S'funny though, I had a feeling I got a bad vibe about Belkin from somewhere. :-k Tsk, I've been whizzing about all over the place (slowly :lol: ) so I lose track. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Have a look at metronet too, they have very flexible packages (so very cheap if you are a surfer rather than a massive filesharing downloader), reliable, and good service. No 24/7 helpline but I haven't found any need to contact one yet, and this is my first home connection.

I can recomend Zen & Nildram - no experience with Pipex tho not heard any horror stories.

I have both netgear and belkin routers and i cant fault either.

Alf":2jfc6hpi said:
Anyway, anyone got any definite "No, no, you fool. Don't do that" comments? Or am I on a reasonably okay track?

seems like your wandering down the right track to me :wink:

Alf,

I've had a Belkin wireless setup throughout the house and garden for about a year and it's worked flawlessly. Good prices, too.

You might be right to look at wired stuff, though. Everybody lies about the range of wireless - upstairs front to downstairs back is too much in my house with simple brick walls, and when it comes to the garden a single glass door can turn an excellent connection into a marginal one.

As for broadband, I used to use Pipex for dial-up and was very happy with them but switched to BT for broadband when they were the only game in town. I'd go back to Pipex without hesitation if I wanted to swtich suppliers.

Under no circumstances consider Bulldog.

Hi Alf

I have the Belkin wireless stuff as well and it's really reliable and works well.

I also have a 1Mb Pipex connection. I live right on the distance limit (6k I think ?) from the exchange and I've had no real problems with it. I've had it for over a year now and only on the odd occassion has the connection been dropped.

However, Pipex as you have gathered are not the cheapest around and I would also give serious consideration to their tech support service which isn't great in my opinion. It is not available 24 hours a day (only till 8:30 weekdays), it's not free as far as I know and there have always been long waits (20 mins +) whenevere I've needed to contact them. Also once I called at about 8 pm, waited in the queue till 8:30 whereupon a recorded message said that the support desk was now closed - goodbye !!!!. 30 minutes and the cost of the call wasted.

Will probably get around to trying some other outfit someday but for now Pipex service is pretty good.

Jeff

I have the netgear router that you mention and it is good. With extensive use by four computers all on wireless and a hardwired printer, no problems. I suppose I have to reset the router about once a month.

As to suppliers, I use Lycos for all my mail and hosting and Bulldog for broadband access at http://www.bulldogbroadband.com. I have been with them for about 18 months after many problems with BT. Again good service.

Hello

Being from the country and not up on a lot of things, What is broadband?
Is this where a bunch of ladies get together and play musical instruments?

I know this is not productive, but I couldn't resist. :twisted:

Travis

Philly":7afkbxy5 said:
Ah. Oh. Pricier. :(

BTW, presumably manufacturer A's wireless adapter will work okay with manufacturer B's router? Just occurred to me to check that...

Hmm, Metronet. I think I looked at them; now why did I dismiss them? :-k Aaargh, I should have kept notes... :roll: Set up fee maybe? Seems to be more than anyone elses, which seems odd. Must have been something else, I think.

Neil, yep, I've been haunting all such sites, but actually finding what I want to know is a nightmare when you don't know the technical jargon. 8-[

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts so far, chaps. Evidently I'm not totally wide of the mark, which is encouraging anyway.

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

BTW, presumably manufacturer A's wireless adapter will work okay with manufacturer B's router?

Yep - the whole thing is standardised. Just make sure that the numbers and letters match up :roll:

They will all be 802.11 x (where the x can be different things) usually they will work regardless, ,but a different speeds, i belive nearly everything is now g (IIRC) but you might find some differences on cheaper equipment.

Can't comment on BB as I just drool at all of your prices! it's pretty steep still over here, and in areas of the country equivilent to cornwall, my grandkids would be lucky to be alive when it arrives!

HTH rather than confuses!

Les

Hi Alf

I use a wired connectrion on the desktop PCs and a wireless for the laptop.

The hardware I use was very well recommended in tests and reviews and is sold as BT Voyager.

The laptop has a BT Voyager 1060 PCMCIA adaptor and the desktop uses a BT voyager router (I think 2000 but it is at home and I am not)

This kit worked from day one with no hassle or problems at all - something I never got my Belkin kit to do. Belkin ended up in the bin after months of trying to get it to work[/quote]

Mdotflorida":dsdj2a1q said:
However, Pipex as you have gathered are not the cheapest around and I would also give serious consideration to their tech support service which isn't great in my opinion.
Done some more reading, now have cold feet about Pipex. :roll: Any views on PlusNet?

Honestly, it's easier choosing which tool to buy next... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

WiZeR":2vfvlueh said:
have you looked at EFH?
I have now. They're rather new to providing their own service though, it seems. As the Old Man puts it "you don't want to pay while they get over their teething troubles". :?

Tim, a bit about Bulldog.

Cheers, Alf

Back