Broadband - again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim

Like you I have 3 phone points in the house and have put a filter in each one as instructed. I got 2 with my router fron Zen and he put in an extra 3 at no cost. That leaves me with two spare, give me your address and I'll send them to you FOC.

Jake":3ao0gtj0 said:
a filter faceplate at the point of entry, which splits the ADSL from the telephone, leaving the telephone on the existing wiring and giving you an ADSL plug for your router.
Is that one of these Master Faceplate Splitter things here, Jake? Seemed a good idea as we run off the master socket and I have a feeling the fewer things twixt the pipe and the end user the better on our line. Presumably BT doesn't have to be troubled about it and it can be DIY-ed? Although why I ask, I don't know. TPTB's have gone cold on the idea again... #-o

Cheers, Alf

Yes, that's the type of thing. They can be DIYed, though I'm not sure how legitimately. If the line is marginal I think BT install one anyway, as they are apparently better for extracting every last bit of performance from a given line.

Jake":qxvb5gxq said:
Yes, that's the type of thing. They can be DIYed, though I'm not sure how legitimately.
Ahhh...

Jake":qxvb5gxq said:
If the line is marginal I think BT install one anyway, as they are apparently better for extracting every last bit of performance from a given line.
Yeah, I got that impression so I should think there's every chance we'd need one. :roll: Ta muchly.

Cheers, Alf

Something about broadband wasn't it?

I haven't got a clue what all this techie networking and wireless stuff is, but I do know I hooked up to BT's broadband service about a year ago, and it works fine.

They sent along a cardboard box with a router thingie and some other bits and bobs so that I could use the internet and make phone calls too-- that was a major reason to move to broadband. I plugged it all in, after following some simple instructions requiring a bit of low tech screwdriver work into the skirting board, and away to go.

No real hassle, and when I've had a problem-- just once I think, a phone call to those helpful BT folks in Bombay (or somewhere like that) had it all sorted in about ten minutes.

I do know this much, my BT Broadband service is a hell of a lot faster than even the system at my work which is supposed to be all singing and all dancing. The BT Yahoo email system is very effective at filtering out spam I've found-- a big plus.

Generally I'm happy with it, even it does cost me about £25 a month, which doesn't seem expensive as I just like to use the darned internet, not tinker with stuff I don't understand, and don't really want to understand.

I'm like a car driver that's good at driving, but hopeless at fixing the engine, so BT's Broadband service has worked well on the whole. Slainte.

Right, I'm sitting looking at all the gear and the line has been enabled. Next time you hear from me I shall hopefully be 40x faster :shock:

If not, its been nice knowing you all :?

Cheers

Tim

WOOHOO. Here I am \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ This is the way.

Had some probs in set up (a bluetooth conflict or summat :oops: and had forgotten about the Sky connection needing a filter)

Zen customer service/ technical support are utterly brilliant. Totally unphased by muppetty questions, polite, knowledgeable and quick.

Thanks for all the advice and help esp Waka and his filters (and Mrs Waka for sending them).

Alf, you really should get broadband you know :whistle:

Cheers

Tim

Great stuff Tim!

BTW unless you want to shop etc via Sky and maybe Sky plus - I am not sure as I just have the ordinary cooking version - you can disconnect the phoneline once you have set up your initial subscription.

Chris":h46xj5px said:
BTW unless you want to shop etc via Sky and maybe Sky plus - I am not sure as I just have the ordinary cooking version - you can disconnect the phoneline once you have set up your initial subscription.

Chris, I think you are right but we do watch box office movies occasionally so I keep it connected for that.

BTW my laptop works all over the house and about 60m down the garden so no fear of stone walls interfering.

I can't believe how good it is.

Cheers

Tim

Sgian Dubh":3f5m6xfz said:
Generally I'm happy with it, even it does cost me about £25 a month, which doesn't seem expensive as I just like to use the darned internet, not tinker with stuff I don't understand, and don't really want to understand.

I'm like a car driver that's good at driving, but hopeless at fixing the engine, so BT's Broadband service has worked well on the whole. Slainte.

Well same here except I pay around £120 a year less for a 2mb service with a different provider.

Back