British Standards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetochat

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst researching another subject, I came across a listing of British Standards relating to furniture. For the pin money woodworker, how does the British Standards apply to items sold?

It goes without saying that the members of this establishment produce articles of furniture that far exceed British Standards :wink: :roll:

Regards

Woody

I'm sure the finished products from all here are to the highest standard however:

I've been curious for a while now about what people on here do if they produce furniture or other items for commissions from 'customers' with regards to their liabilities if something goes wrong e.g. you produce a wall mounted unit / shelf / whatever and it collapses. The customer then sues you for damages or injuries?

As a trades person, you would (or should) have Public Liability insurance - but what about the the hobbyist who produces items for others - they would still have the same liabilities?

Cheers

Howard

Obviously i do not know for certain but i wouldn't have thought that there are many hobbyist who have public liability Insurance.

Also unless they sell the piece of furniture to a family member or friend, i wouldn't have thought that there is much the person could or would do if the wall unit fell over and hit him on the head.

This is just my opinion and i have no real idea what the law states.

Regards

Woody

Back