British squares (possibly odd question)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a cheap 1 inch engineer's square 18 months ago and have used it far more often than I expected to. Accurate and incredibly useful for marking out joinery.

Jacob":ezjx7mfi said:
craigsalisbury":ezjx7mfi said:
.... i refuse to look for old tools for the sake of saving a few sheckles lol
Really? I insist on looking for look for old tools for the sake of saving a few sheckles! :lol:
Bahco are good https://www.toolstation.com/bahco-combi ... are/p36432 seem just as good as the Rabone Chesterman, I've got both.
Combi very different from the classic Marples as mentioned above, which is perfect for extended marking up sessions.
I did similar with Stanley knife when I was a kid but got it into my wrist just missing the artery. Doctor thought it was a suicide attempt and was very worried! Still got the scar.
PS just had a look at Woodpeckers squares - pages of gadgets absolutely puffin ludicrous prices and not necessarily any good either :roll:

Ah yes, I own the 6" version of that combi, which i like but needs some work as its as rough as an old dog on the slidey bit, and i suppose that's what annoys me, i'd rather buy something that just works out the box.
Price has never been an issue because i just save a little longer to get something which counters my lazyness to clean and fettle :), also when i have spent the time saving, i'm ready to buy and i want it yesterday and i find that very hard if not buying new as well as the uncertainty from places like ebay .

Those Woodpeckers are expensive, and your'e right, that doesn't mean they are good, there's also the Incra which are just as expensive and they are both the stars of US youtube channels which I presume are donations from the companies as you never see just one, its always the entire range hanging on a wall.

So I am definitely leaning towards the Kinex Engineers squares due to the 3mm thick blade, I wanted something a british to support our industries but it seems i missed that by a 100 years or so, maybe it will come back, who knows. It's certainly a little disappointing that theres a big revival in people doing things with their hands (I believe the hipsters call them "makers"), but unlike our cousins across the pond, our industry is not producing new tool brands to fill this gap in the market in a meaningful way and of course the small companies that do seem to think they can charge the earth if its shiny regardless of whether something is proven to stand the test of time.

oh its too early for this much ranting and for this i apologise :)

craigsalisbury":1ov4ebz7 said:
.......... theres a big revival in people doing things with their hands (I believe the hipsters call them "makers")........

I've seen no evidence of this. What have you got?

There certainly seems to be a surge in people making Youtube videos of themselves making stuff. Many of them are talentless and low skilled, and seem not to have noticed that the internet is awash with "how to" videos of tablesaw sleds.

MikeG.":un1rmh5u said:
craigsalisbury":un1rmh5u said:
.......... theres a big revival in people doing things with their hands (I believe the hipsters call them "makers")........

I've seen no evidence of this. What have you got?

There certainly seems to be a surge in people making Youtube videos of themselves making stuff. Many of them are talentless and low skilled, and seem not to have noticed that the internet is awash with "how to" videos of tablesaw sleds.

^^^^^ yes that. I suppose it doesn't indicate much except for the people you mentioned wanting others to "support" them so they don't have to get real jobs and can sit with their video cameras all day. my observation was dumb based on the amount of these "makers" popping up recently.

Back