British gas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
Phone BG on Tuesday to come and fix the boiler, keeps going to "lock out". When I told the plonker that it keeps going to lock out he said " .what does that mean is it in a garage and you are having trouble locking". I controlled myself well and explained what lock was, he arranged for an engineer to come today. Engineer arrived and said I have come to repair your slate and lead flashing, this of course meant that he did not have the spares on board to cure the lock out. He was very embarrassed. Again I controlled myself quite well, there was no swearing. I am trying to find a customer complaint number, no luck yet.

newt":1xnind64 said:

This was your first mistake!

They once threatened to take me to court and actually sent an engineer around to disconnect my supply because I had the temerity to follow their explicit instructions and paid my bill on time. It took nearly a year (and about half a day on the phone) to finally convince them to stop chasing me to pay them the money that I'd already paid them.

I will never, ever have any direct dealings with such an incompetent organisation again, and I wholeheartedly recommend nobody else does either! I've grown to suspect that unlike companies that you buy goods from, the cheapest utility companies probably are the best - because they're the ones who are wasting the least amount of money on inefficiency in their systems and processes!

I'm afraid I gave up on BG years ago - every time they serviced my boiler they knackered something!

Rod

They came out to fix a leak a couple of weeks ago.
They had to cut through the landing floor.
This needed rhe man qualified to use a circular saw.
Lots of phone calls and he comes.

Can you tell where this is heading?

Yes, he cut through 3 pipes (2 water, 1 gas), water through ceiling, lights etc...
To their credit they didn't panic and fixed it all saying "our manager will call to sort out the damage"
He did and offered £50 for me to buy paint and fix the ceiling myself.
"No ta, let's go the insurance route".
Hopefully the ceiling will be patched, stain protected and painted at their expense next week.

Doesn't help that we're trying to sell the house...

On the other hand, I've had nothing but really excellent service from BG for the last ten years. Our boiler is an old one and gets regularly serviced by BG every October and a couple of years ago it needed a new thermostat...they went out of their way to sort it out. Every time they visit I ask the bloke if the boiler is due for replacement and the answer is always...'Nope, we'll let you know when it's had it and that time will come when we can't get spares for it, for the moment, it's fine and good for another year'

It was installed in 1987 so is now 25 years old - Rob

I am another ex-British Gas customer. I won't bore anyone with the details but suffice to say I gave them enough chances; they cocked up every one.

The annual servicing has been fine, it was the human being on the other end of the phone that let the company down, plonker.

newt":21rkik4x said:
The annual servicing has been fine, it was the human being on the other end of the phone that let the company down, plonker.
That's human beans for you Pete :roll: :lol: - Rob

BG man come this morning with complete new electronic system, he said have changed many of these never had any further problems. Quite a big job many connections after an hour switched on, ( you know where this is going) it failed to work. :cry: He said duff new part will get another Monday. So we now have a boiler that does not work at all. That's life, spent the next hour answering a survey on the European Union, quite a nice gent that did the survey. It is now blowing a gale and raining, but England did beat Sweden. :lol:

Latest posts

Back