Britain's Best Woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The judges seemed to take a dislike of Joe's boxer right from the start simply because he tried to inject some humour into the piece. I thought it was good and unfair for him to leave

Sean

Chainsaw carving !!!! not the right protective clothing!!!! the producers should be shot. The head of Joe‘s boxer had real character well done as Joe said he was new to carving. Joe should not have been let go, the snail and the lion were both worse.

Token contestants, mmm starting to think this is the case.

Its a shame this program could have been so much better, maybe as someone already suggested, best apprentice would have been so much more interesting, maybe with proper judges and possibly a renowned designer/maker involved.

Chainsaw carving !!!! not the right protective clothing!!!! the producers should be shot. The head of Joe‘s boxer had real character well done as Joe said he was new to carving. Joe should not have been let go, the snail and the lion were both worse.

Token contestants, mmm starting to think this is the case.

Its a shame this program could have been so much better, maybe as someone already suggested, best apprentice would have been so much more interesting, maybe with proper judges and possibly a renowned designer/maker involved.

agree, I thought the lion was actually the worse one, the face on it was appauling, it just didn't work at all.

I would defend the snail because:
1) It was a reasonable use of starting wood; a good ‘outdoor sculpture’.
2) It brought joy to the judges, clearly there was something fun about it that maybe you had to be there to experience.

The lion versus boxer on the other hand, the lion was a bad idea and poorly finished; if it had been sitting rather than standing he may have had a chance of completing it. The boxer had character, so I thought was much better than the lion.

I think the judges had decided against the boxer from the conception of design purely because of the boxing gloves, the lion was by far the worst of them all, on a side note, the zebra head was not an original idea, I've seen them advertised online for sale before.

So Billy is out, and thats not a surprise.
The drinks cabinet was a nice idea,, but too big and he could have been more technical in it, and here im pointing at the straight slats going around without at least putting angles on them so they fitted better together, and the inner spinny bit, while a good idea, i thought the holes to place the bottles in were just gigantic and again out of proportion.

I can identify with Billy in that i hardly ever draw anything beyond a couple of childlike sketches, and what happens is you lose out and forget bits. Playing it by ear always leaves me with problems, and all my worst constructions done this way always appear bodged together, whereas when i originally did proper drawings for college, it worked out really well and I could construct all the pieces with ease, knowing before hand what sizes I was working to

Last edited:
As many have commented the format is removed from actual woodwork production but that's TV - Jewellery making friends had the same complaints with the "All that Glitters" show.

They all need to be dumbed down to an extent for Joe Public but I thought the jewellery series was probably more interesting if you had some knowledge of jewellery making and silversmithing. I don't really know why anyone with any knowledge of woodworking bothers to watch this one.

Have to say I thought today's semi-final was a bit more realistic in terms of the task/product - something functional and that most people could relate to. The steam bending bit was pretty irrelevant in my view.

I can see why Billy went - the idea and basic execution was great - but as mentioned above the design wasn't really fit for purpose size-wise and as the judges said the finishing was poor.

None of them deserved to win the immunity challenge, having said that, Radha definately had the best build followed by Misti, in my opinion it could just as easily have been Charly to leave, she and Billy just didn't have the level of finish they should have had.

Anyone stupid enough to be signing up to take part website they showed at the end?

Never heard of a Memphis school of woodworking but Misti's piece looked like something Freddie Baier would produce. I thought Rhada's piece was the most coherent design - the others lacked finesse and those barrel hinges were not up to the job.

Why was Radha not announced woodworker of the week? Does winning the challenge also make you immune from that title? Misti's thing was OK but compared to Radhas not really a scratch.

Whether he had immunity or not, his piece was clearly the best in the show and he should have been WotW too. Misti's monstrosity was hideous and tge decision to award it WotW was definitely an ofo moment. No qualms with Billy going. Money still on Misti to win overall.

Memphis school
Memphis is the name of a group of designers from the early 80's
Post modern and contemporary, based in the late 70's, early 80's at studio Alchimia.

Misti's drinks cabinet was based upon the Carlton Bookcase by Ettore Sottsass who was the lead designer.

Anyone stupid enough to be signing up to take part website they showed at the end?
If only I had the confidence, but im outside of studios these days so kind of feel like I've lost my mojo. And you really need to be fully absorbed into it.
I wish I'd stayed in the studio and become self employed, instead of working in some dusty old cabinetshop making American arts and crafts. But hey ho, money is nice to have, especially when handed bundles of £20's

Last edited:
Never heard of a Memphis school of woodworking but Misti's piece looked like something Freddie Baier would produce. I thought Rhada's piece was the most coherent design - the others lacked finesse and those barrel hinges were not up to the job.

I thought the Charlie's barrel idea was quite good but would have worked better if it had one wider panel as the base (i.e. a barrel with a flat side) which could then have had a one-piece door hinged downwards to make a serving shelf and also created a wider flat surface to store the bottles and glasses in the cupboard part.

I thought last night's programme was a lot better.
Billy has a lot of talent considering he's self taught, but is a very long way from accepted standards. I feel if he were to go to college or serve an apprenticeship he'd be exceptional, but until then he'll always be in the winging it bracket.
Misti has exceptional designs but let down by her inexperience in woodworking, given more time I'm sure she'd come on a lot.
Last night's project was perfect for Radha's skillset, thoroughly deservef to go through.
I don't rate Charlie at all and was lucky to stay in, I'd have much preferred to see Billie stay.

I think the judges had decided against the boxer from the conception of design purely because of the boxing gloves, the lion was by far the worst of them all, on a side note, the zebra head was not an original idea, I've seen them advertised online for sale before.
The drinks cabinet is inspired by someone else's design too. That said we are all inspired by things we see and like and when you look at the three remaining contestants, on their good days, they could win. Billy I don't see winning.
1637311814798.png

Latest posts

Back