Britain's Best Woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roughing gouge is for spindle work where the grain is always the same direction. On a bowl blank where the grain is constanty changing between end grain cut and with the grain, a bowl gouge is the right choice. They are a stronger tool. A roughing gouge isn't intended for cross grain cuts.
Thanks

I can recommend Ashley Iles bowl gouges that you can buy direct with or without handles. I have three that have done over fifteen years each and they hold their edges very well.

I've watched the first 2 episodes. The first one was disappointing, the second saw a small step forwards so I'll probably keep going...I think it should really pick-up when the last few have to seriously compete.
I also think it promotes woodworking to generations that have not had experience of making tangible objects out of wood, never smelt the fragrance from sawing a piece of seasoned pine or felt the satisfaction of using a sharp hand plane. For that alone it's worth trying this programme format.

2nd was a marked improvement from the 1st episode. I'm holding out hope that we get to see more skills and better details as they get rid of the weak links. The judges still come across as soul-less creatures devoid of the joys of life - although I might be the same if I had to listen to Mel's 'jokes' every 2 minutes.

Watched both of the episodes on catch-up. I was looking forward to the similar skill levels that are shown on bake off. As in competitors who possess the basic skills in cookery who are then challenged to take it one step further. Sadly this has not happened with this program. As mentioned here before, two days to make a large double bed is not realistic. But anything longer would not make for good TV. In bake off the judges are professional cooks/bakers. One of them on this program is an architect! Nothing to do with practical woodwork. Almost none of the contestants possess any basic skills. The dovetail test said it all. Terrible program. Won't be watching anymore episodes

Bringing the judges in from Strictly Come Dancing would improve things no end..... Darling. :)

... two days to make a large double bed is not realistic. But anything longer would not make for good TV.

No, but they don't need to film every minute.
To be fair that Mel did say at the beginning, "that to make a hand crafted bed would take several weeks, our contestants have two days."

I watched the first episode, but won't bother with the rest. I wish the producers had kept the original title rather than "Britain's Best". I also think the show would have been better if it followed the format of "Forged in Fire", where contestants make small projects in the studio shop and then go to their home shop for a week to make a complex project. This could definitely separate the wheat from the chaff in terms of contestant skills and capabilities and might make a more enjoyable show, at least for me.

As others have said above I was quite excited at the title and expected to see Britain's best woodworkers. I wouldn't rate any of these competitors as being good, let alone highly skilled. The standard is pretty poor. The projects and challenges are unreasonable I think for the time the competitors have to make the item. Even a highly skilled craftsman would struggle to get a top quality item in that time frame. Shame really, the idea is good - it be great if the competitors were competent.

Anyone think the work quality increased a little? Esp average Joe chair? And the steam bent one...

Some of the others weren't so bad but the two who went home deserved it! Rada sailed close to the wind too....

Thoughts?!

Anyone think the work quality increased a little? Esp average Joe chair? And the steam bent one...

Some of the others weren't so bad but the two who went home deserved it! Rada sailed close to the wind too....

Thoughts?!

agree, I did like average joe's chair, it looked like a chair and was comfortable, I wasn't a fan of the steamed bent one too much though or any of the others really, I could not believe how poor they were at spoon carving, surprised there was no spokeshave or gauge for it either, that would have been much much safer than a whittling knife.

Last edited:
Very arbitrary of the judges to criticise the contestant who made a chair to fit herself for making that choice.
It may not have looked conventional or well proportioned, but one of the great advantages of hand made furniture is that you can finally get something that fits you. Tall and petite people alike have to suffer middling sized stuff made for the majority.

And taking a hot air gun to a gallon of resin had me chortling. Resin instructions will clearly warn about exothermic heating of bulk resin and the need to mix in a flat metal bowl to disperse heat and extend the open time for gluing up. He had a gallon for heaven's sake !

Last edited:
What was Rahda thinking putting heat under the Resin!!!

He might have never used it before but even 10 mins of googling how to do it tells you heat is the enemy!!

Whatever, I am a fan of this entertainment show, which is not a woodworking tutorial. Misti’s chair was spectacular, if a little unsteady.

Back