Britain's Best Woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
must admit it's made me want to try the impossible dovetail as a challenge to myself, I'm going to do it for a laugh and see if I can do it better with the same time limitations.

I liked the idea of the program but as is evident the name if wrong, should be britains inept woodworkers, it is a shame the skill level is so basic I have seen better in a school woodwork class. There are certainly some with good design skills but attention to detail is lacking. From the title and build up one expected experienced woodworkers and it is evident that is not the case. Enthusiastic yes, good designers maybe, but skilled woodworkers; not in evidence so far. Though some do try hard. I am surprised smash and bash you tuber is still there and suspect he will lose a lot of subscribers if they watch the show. I will watch the rest of the series for entertainments sake rather than education.

I liked the idea of the program but as is evident the name if wrong, should be britains inept woodworkers, it is a shame the skill level is so basic I have seen better in a school woodwork class. There are certainly some with good design skills but attention to detail is lacking. From the title and build up one expected experienced woodworkers and it is evident that is not the case. Enthusiastic yes, good designers maybe, but skilled woodworkers; not in evidence so far. Though some do try hard. I am surprised smash and bash you tuber is still there and suspect he will lose a lot of subscribers if they watch the show. I will watch the rest of the series for entertainments sake rather than education.
I'm guessing woodworking a much more neglected skill compared to bake off?

I think there are probably alot of average Joe's and then a good number of expert / pro level woodworkers, but not much in the middle.

Experts aren't going to put thier reputation or time on the line for s TV show.

Nor are there the commercial benefits post show like on bakeoff. New woodworking bestseller? Hardly?

Shane but that's the way it is.

Cheers James

The Dolls house was meant to be a collectors piece, there were some good ideas and a couple that given a bit more time could have been good, but collectors pieces they were not.Again apart from a couple the majority was a waste of wood that thankfully was not on the scale of the first episode.
The attempt by rocket man was nothing short of pathetic and he deserved to get booted.
There is talent and skill among the players and i would hope there is better to come,I would however put good money on a bet that there will not be second series of this program in its existing format.

This weeks show was far better than last weeks just the poor quality of the impossible dove tail joint
I’ve never seen it done the way they did it.

But the dolls house was a better size.

still it give me something to make the wife sit though as she makes me watch bake off

One of the things I wasn’t happy about was the guy making the Indian themed house was using a roughing gouge on a bowl blank. Not the right tool and dangerous. I would have thought someone would have screened the final edit for stuff like this.

One of the things I wasn’t happy about was the guy making the Indian themed house was using a roughing gouge on a bowl blank. Not the right tool and dangerous. I would have thought someone would have screened the final edit for stuff like this.
Why is it dangerous? newbie turner here!

Cheers James

Roughing gouge is for spindle work where the grain is always the same direction. On a bowl blank where the grain is constanty changing between end grain cut and with the grain, a bowl gouge is the right choice. They are a stronger tool. A roughing gouge isn't intended for cross grain cuts.

Cheers James
Despite looking ‘meaty’, to give them their proper name, a spindle roughing gouge, are actually quite weak compared to a bowl gouge. You can see this where the tang enters the handle - it is much thinner in the case of a spindle roughing gouge compared to a bowl gouge especially in relation to the cutting edge available.

This is particularly important on a bowl where you encounter end grain when turning the bowl side grain and can have much larger overhangs from the to rest as opposed to spindle work where you are only cutting side green and typically a very short overhang to cut side grain with a spindle roughing gouge.

dors this make sense -happy to explain more?
Simon

783EB8D5-BFD0-4DC5-BCBE-F24181D6B989.jpeg
4FBAEF88-9776-46D6-A557-7CE088096E55.jpeg

Cheers James

As others have said - it’s not strong enough. The roughing gouge is made from a folded bit of steel, with a tang. A bowl gouge should be used on the edge of a face grain/bowl blank because the roughing gouge can dig in to the end grain and snap the tool (in extremis). The roughing gouge looks a strong tool, but isn’t.

I decided to make a doll's house for Xmas a long time ago. Of course it was running late and I was out in the shed until 4 am on Xmas eve ! :rolleyes:
They are the most fiddly and time consuming things to make and I swore never again without a comprehensive set of plans.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back