Britain's Best Woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TV like this creates a false expectation as to how long it actually takes to make something, let alone properly.
I'm waiting for the day when someone comes in my shop and asks for a bed, or even anything, "seen a program on the telly, it only took 2 days to make"

Past experience, quite a few years ago, I was asked to make a large Oak glazed frame for a barn conversion, new client, "6 bits of wood and some nails, that shouldn't take long!"

20+ years on, I still do work for him... he's been educated now.
But how exciting would the programme be if they cut down a tree and then filmed it drying for a year whilst they waited to see what character boards survived to influence the design.

There’s always going to be people who don’t understand things, sadly some actually aren’t even capable of understanding, some use the internet, that’s scary.

It's clear the programme's title is silly. Rename it and you have people with a variety of skills trying to make things from wood and getting a crit. I can't see the point in mocking those people's efforts.

I caught up on this programme last night.

I totally agree, if they changed the name I think they'd have a great show.

Listening to all these negative comments is a little sad imo .
How about some support and hope for better in the coming series.

Remember, top gear was dung in the first few series.

Hell, post your first few projects and let's all have a laugh (I'll go first)

Woodworking is a learned skill. I like that these contestants bring something other than pure woodworking skills to the shed.
When was the last time you put fabric into your last project

I have hope and optimism for the show.

I saw the first episode. I liked it. There was a fair bit of good design there. Some interesting ideas that were too elaborate for practical builds over 2 days but interesting concepts nonetheless. The skills challenge was ok but maybe they should all have to flatten and dimension a small board by hand. That would be interesting viewing.

Well, it's on again tonight.

If they introduce an element of sharpening we'll all be in heaven as far as this thread is concerned.

Happy watching!

I can’t help but think it would have been better if they chose something more realistic like a chair, cupboard or table to give the contestants an opportunity to shine. Work through timber selection design build then finish it properly.
A “dream bed” is too big and complicated for a first episode and sounds more like a final.
Who’s making stuff that size in their workshops at home?

Thats would be me! First ever time playing with Hardwoods and thought i'd start small!!

Took way longer than 2 days though!!

CCF5D99F-04CA-48EC-8E2C-3B0A6C5C350E.JPG

Bed.png

Last edited by a moderator:
These people are pretty clueless, those joints are horrendous.
Mr Bradshaw my college lecturer would be pulling his hair out seeing them banging away with no sacrificial piece of wood as they assemble their projects.

How about some support and hope for better in the coming series.
Having seen those dovetails I think hope is rather lacking, ok they were told what to do and they may not be the "traditional" type but perhaps may have done better with power tools, where is the Woodrat when you need one!

The last time I made an impossible dovetail, I'm pretty sure (iirc) I cut the tails at 45. As opposed to cutting square and planing the faces at 45, the end result is probably the same. Some of those made mine look damn good:ROFLMAO:
The daft thing on this challenge was there are numerous large, heavy benches in the workshop..but lets not use them, instead we'll go outside and use these small, lighter benches.

. . . at least they sent right person home this week. For my money they ought to send the judges home too, and get a couple of new ones . . . and while they're at it change the presenter with the pathetic, unfunny attempts at humour.

Watched the first and decided that was enough. I hate these against the clock things where insufficient time is available to do a proper job even if for those who do have the skills. I would much rather watch someone design and make something good in a sensible time frame but I guess that wouldn't make "good tv".

Jim

And Alex Webster, the furniture restorer on the telly, wears a magnificent leather apron with neck shackles.

Chiropractors be rubbing their hands together. :D

Latest posts

Back