Britain's Best Woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m recording and going to give it a go with an open mind but the reviews don’t sound good!

Kind Regards..........Rob

I watched this again while in the workshop yesterday and caught something I missed the first time that nearly had me falling about laughing. I know for almost definite that none of them are members here as 1 of them is heard to say "I'm glad they are all sharp as I don't know how to sharpen them" and noone else said anything. So they have never read a thread here as they all descend eventually to Jacob arguing with everyone else about sharpening methods

I was ranting thinking why aren't they using a tusk tenon, the guy on there who made the boat bed should have been eliminated, it was painful to see premium B/BB birch plywood wasted like that knowing what it costs, I think 2 days to build a bed is nowhere near enough time.

I watched it. I felt like the level of the woodworkers was such that it would inspire the average Joe to get stuck in, rather than getting the big name YouTubers and Instagram names on so I didn't really have an issue with that.

They most likely also needed people with a decent grasp of skills across the board instead of a world class woodturner who has no idea how to use a bench plane. I imagine there'll be a lot of traditional joinery, a few MDF/composites challenges, and maybe one turning/scroll saw/carving challenge.

My main issue is that the format seems to be one big multi-day challenge punctuated by one that takes an hour or so. Fine, but if most of them stink at the big challenge or if its not that interesting then the entire episode is a write off. At least on bake off if you don't like croissants then they'll be on to making a pie in 10 minutes.

Next weeks looks like the big project is all in miniature, with it being dolls house

Last edited:
Design ("I'm going to design something stunning")
Practicality ("I'm going to make something that could actually be used")
Construction ("I'm going to design something that I'm going to be able to make")
This philosophy is fundamental in all aspects of engineering and even more important when you have a time constraint in which to deliver so going on what they have attempted so far many seem to have good visualisation apart from the sleeper bed but are not thinking about how or if they can deliver. That guy who came up with the "boat" concept was definately an outright winner if the remit was joints that people would laugh about, I think if that is what you are willing to deliver on national Tv then give up.

Lets take a fairer look, ok so the beds should not have been an issue as it is general woodworking but carving, working in minature and turning which will pop up are all more niche which unless it is your thing who knows what will be produced.

Looking forward to seeing Tim and his decking screws take on a dolls house!

I watched it tonight - didn’t find it terrible but I do question where they found the participants. One openly admitted to having never made anything before - surely some level of ability would be considered a minimum requirement?That said their finished bed was one of the better ones!

I watched it tonight - didn’t find it terrible but I do question where they found the participants. One openly admitted to having never made anything before - surely some level of ability would be considered a minimum requirement?

Maybe they had advice from the people who choose government ministers? :)

I caught 5 minutes of it then turned it off. It was an insult to anyone who aspires to be a craftsman. The level was about that of a year 9 D&T class. The great race to the bottom continues!

Well, I watched this episode.
Surly expert judges.
A couple of contestants showing promise.
But amount of screws, all on show, which some used to fix components was unbelievable.
The amount of packing pieces on the boat bed !
And as for the 12 sleeper bed, well, the idea was novel.
Next week , I'll start to record it and then clean my workshop. I'll then fast forward to view it and stop at anything that look entertaining.

Not adverse to these type shows but think their choice of amatuer contestants could have been better sourced.

Looking forward to seeing Tim and his decking screws take on a dolls house!

I watched it tonight - didn’t find it terrible but I do question where they found the participants. One openly admitted to having never made anything before - surely some level of ability would be considered a minimum requirement?That said their finished bed was one of the better ones!

Same person who won the technical challenge and produced the gothic bed with upholstered headboard. Maybe 'Misti' hadn't made anything but perhaps the person 'Misti' morphed from had.

Latest posts

Back