Britain's Best Woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disappointing - the highlight, if there was one, was the plywood bed.

Of the judges, the bloke with the green outfit was arrogant to the point of indifference - and the woman was a Monica Galetti (from Masterchef) clone with a selection from the Standard Book of Cliches.

…it'd be interesting to know when this was filmed in regards to current timber prices.
It was shot September last year, and was originally called Good With Wood; the show was shelved after ‘The Chop’ tattoo debacle, and re-branded as Britains Best Woodworker for release this year.

Joe Whittaker is Average Joes Joinery on YouTube, nice chap, very capable.

HTH P

What a disappointment, beautiful workshop, top of the range tools, expensive timber but contestants who all but one were amateurs who were rough as hell and didn’t have a clue. Radha seems to be the only person with an idea although using a lump hammer to assemble that frame was definitely a no no.

Rather disappointed. As usual for DIY shows they spent more time highlighting the contestants personality defects than on their making techniques. I suspect that if someone watched who had no practical experience they would be none the wiser.
They had lots of nice bits of timber that only a few of them made good use of. Though I don’t think I’d be able to make a decent bed with an exotic theme in two days. Though it looks as though there were lots of good machines, 5 competent technicians and all the timber was prepared to size which would save a lot of time.
I think I’ll watch next week as I’m curious what novice turners will manage at their first attempt.

Cheers
Martin

thought it was okay, the show has to appeal to the public and my wife and I enjoyed watching it - job done

Considering many had never carved before, probably lime.

When printing presses used engraved wooden type and carved blocks for illustrations (think of old-style theatre posters) the wood was usually boxwood as it's very stable and can be smoothed to the point of there being no raised grain, and the grain wouldn't be raised by printing ink or cleaning solvents (usually white spirit) The smooth surface would accept an even coat of ink to transfer solid colour to the paper, under pressure in the machine.

The "prints" in the show were pretty patchy, but given hand inking and not much paper pressure they did show the results.

I think it's worth at least another watch. It's made to entertain which I think it will do for the larger audience. In my opinion it was judged fairly. The block print I thought was the best one and the best bed was for me between Rhada and Joe's. Even with all those tools, cut timber and technician's help I thought most did well to get the task done after a fashion in two days.

Yes, I know. But these were unskilled people doing a quick job for a TV programme.

.... my post was for "trivia and information" - not a reflection on your comment! Boxwood would have been almost impossible for them to work with - for what they were doing pretty much any softwood would work.

Any idea what wood they were using to make the printing blocks?

Seeing as I forgot the reminder to watch this programme and will have to go to catch up for it... and I've been out of "wood working proper" (😉) for a number of years, I'll put forward a cheap (30+ years ago anyway) wood called Jelutong - don't know if it's still available?

Other woods, as already put forward, Lime and Box wood - as lime was mentioned I'm assuming the wood was pale in colour (remember I've yet to catch up) hence my mention of Jelutong. When I worked for the timber/craft company 30 years ago Box wood wasn't available in any big'ish sizes so I'd not think it was that.

Rambling on something yet to see - not a good thing do do 😁😂😂

You need to finish the seams with an overlocker.

(I had help with this reply)

Jef
Fur lining is good too. One cat is just enough for one pair - I saw that on the TV somewhere. It was a series "Make More of your Pets"

Last edited:
I watched it. I thought some of the designs were interesting, though working out HOW to make it, wasn’t. The young lady sent home deserved it. It was both ill conceived and incredibly poorly made. I have to wonder what the criteria were to be a contestant. Warm and breathing? I apologize in advance for that last quip.

Yes, have to agree with the frequent comment of disappointing. But that was probably inevitable, as they were trying to interest folk who knew something about woodworking and a general public who (it is assumed) want more of the "human interest" stuff. So probably didn't really please either.

When similar sort of shows such as bake off, sewing bee, blown away etc first introduce their competitors, most have a good degree of competance, some more than others depending on the type of work. I'm afraid I doubt I would employ any of these individulas in my shop, well maybe 2 of them. I mean, all but one, I think used any recognisable joint in the bed challenge. Some of the "contestants" simply screwing two pieces of wood together. I have seen more skill assembling Ikea flat pack furniture than what was on show last night! I'll watch one more episode, because I want to see what mayhem they get up trying to turn wood. The ultimate goal of declaring "Britains Best Woodworker" certainly sounds very hollow at this point in time. Britain has many thousands of brilliant crafts people, especially woodworkers, a millions times better than me. I just hope, that should this show get a second series those individuals present themselves.

Set the box to series link record so I can watch when I'm able, watched it this morning and have to say the designs were appealing to me on the most part, the execution of most was disappointing, as usual not enough (by which I mean virtually none) of the actual work is shown, I am by no means experienced or skilled at woodworking but the guy with the boat bed should have been ashamed of himself with the work he presented, his rocking design would be great for a baby/toddler bed but not for an adults bed, the packing pieces of ply used could at least have been glued together and shaped to look like a single piece that actually belonged rather than a panic driven after thought.
The Oak sleeper "pond" bed had so much potential but was very poorly thought out and what was offered up as a finished item should have only taken half of the first day to produce.
Personally my favoured design was the cherry tree post, it would have looked better without the thinner branches and woodchuck leaves, I really liked the contrast between processed lumber and natural tree shapes.
They learned early on not to let the presenter touch their work.

Not one of them used K/D fittings. How did they expect to move the bed ! Really I thought all the designs were amateurish especially the railway sleeper bed - designed to rap your shins every time. !

Back