"britain`s biggest wood working magazine"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
ok, so the flashy banner for good woodworking says that THEY are the biggest, but traditional woodworking mag says that THEY are the biggest.

who is the biggest? what information is this statement founded on? how can we have 2 mags that are BOTH the biggest?

SOMEBODY MUST be telling porkies! :shock:

steve

Biggest what? Circulation? Number of Pages? Amount of Editorial? Thickness from to back? Number of square inches of paper? It's one of these stupid statements that anyone can claim to surely?

Adam

But following on.... from ABC figures....

Good Woodworking
Publisher Name: Future Publishing Ltd
Magazine Classification: Home Interest:Woodworking
ABC Primary Figure: 18,015

Traditional Woodworking
Magazine Classification: Home Interest:Woodworking
ABC Primary Figure: 9,396

I think that shows that andy King is fairly accurate in his statements,

Adam

arhhh very clever 8)

biggest to most people would mean circulation, but I see you point!

perhaps its biggest mag workshop ???? :D

steve

I think you'll find that GW claim to be the biggest-selling magazine (their bold), so there is no doubt about what they claim. Probably true, too.
And long may they continue!
Cheers
Steve

I'd be interested to know what Traditional Woodworking are referring to, when they say "biggest" then - as for me, in magazine terms - it means sales figures.

adam

Ooops. What we meant to say was that GW are the biggest selling WW magazine in the UK, as borne out by our ABC figures, a position that we have held for a number of years now. Trad's claim to be the 'biggest' is based on the fact that they added a couple of extra pages to the magazine recently. Mmmmmm!! Perhaps we should change the wording on our banner. :oops:

Pete Martin":201ha4e5 said:
Ooops. What we meant to say was that GW are the biggest selling WW magazine in the UK, as borne out by our ABC figures, a position that we have held for a number of years now. Trad's claim to be the 'biggest' is based on the fact that they added a couple of extra pages to the magazine recently. Mmmmmm!! Perhaps we should change the wording on our banner. :oops:

Or add a couple more yourselves? :wink:

Adam

To declare my hand upfront, I am the publisher of Trad Wood and felt that I ought to respond to the comments on which is the BIGGEST woodworking magazine.

Yes GW is the best selling woodwork mag in the UK - check www.abc.org.uk if you want to see sales figures for those titles that submit to independent audit (people make their own judgement on why titles do not submit to this scrutiny).

We took the decision to add more pages (8 or 16 to be precise compared with previous issues - so I'd like to think that was a little more than the "few" Pete gives us credit for!) in order to provide extra value for money for readers. That seems to me to be worth shouting about and telling everyone. We do indisputably carry more pages than the others mags - like circulation it's not difficult to hide on this one!

I'm not really interested in a knocking match with our competitors. GW is a fine mag and their results speak for themselves. Equally I hope we will be applauded for improving our offering to woodworkers and seeking to improve our own sales.

Hope that helps.

Peter Johns

Blimey we just can't keep these magazine types away, so.... we've got Pete Martin, Andy King, Steve Maskery, Peter Johns, Ralph Laughton (He hasn't been on for a while has he?) etc etc - Quite a combination.

Adam

I`m actually a fan of both mags mentioned. good quality in both 8)

I was just interested in what was ment by 2 seemingly identical claims.

kind regards

steve

Just need a third one to come in and claim thy have the widest and tallest pages and they can claim "biggest" also. As defined by needing the largest folders/shelf space to keep them on! :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Adam

Hi Peter

I will welcome you to the forum anyway.
Its nice to know that the various woody magazines are represented on this forum. And the more the merrier I say.
Any Editor trying to improve their magazine is a good thing.

All the best

John

In the interests of stringing this out for as long as we can :D I'd like to pass on Phil Davy's comments (oh grief, here's another magazine type, but he can't work out how to enter this forum!) that in fact GW also (allegedly) has the biggest Index to a WW mag in the UK – 13,650 entries and counting!! And everyone accessible from our website at http://www.goodwoodworking.co.uk which is where I think we started this fine discussion :lol:

or of course, biggest budget

Unfortunately this fine accolade will have to wing its way across the pond, where mags there have the sort of budget that only Ian Dalziel or Alf can consider spending on woodwork :lol:

In case anyone wondered (unlikely I know) what it was like buying WW magazine space (too little for too much is the golden rule for sellers here) this string is a bit like the process of buying space...

Mine is bigger than yours
Mine is thicker than yours

We have more readers than them
We have more subscribers than them

We have more last minute space
We never have last minute space

It is interesting to note that WW magazine readership is at an all time low as far as I can tell.

Martin
(gripping his Autumn plans tighter than a drinkers grip at closing time)

It is interesting to note that WW magazine readership is at an all time low as far as I can tell.

Trust those wunnerful folk at Brimarc to get their oar in here (Morning Martin!), even if they do have to sound a note of gloom and doom :lol:

How about: "We'll crash further than they will if it all goes **** up" (am I allowed to say that Charley?) :D

I personally would like to see woodworking mags go the same way as car tuning mags, lots of very top heavy models (read that how you will) **oww er misses**

come on, now who won`t buy one then? :lol: :wink:

steve

now theres a idea, anyone ever seen topless woodworking on the old cable channel realTV ????? :wink:

Topless woodworking?! That's got to be a health and safety issue. :shock:

Back