Bringing out the grain?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
I think i've seen this term on the forum before, what exactly is it and does it mean making the grain pattern appear more prominent? I'd love to know how to make the grain stand out more before i varnish.

Thanks by the way for the sanding advice on the finishing post i did, i just tried it with a lot finer sandpaper and it's so smooth it's a job to keep the kids hands off it because they think it feels so soft lol!

Calv.

"Bring out the grain" is really the expression used to describe the effect of adding a finish to bare timber. Wiping oil or brushing polyurethane over bare timber enhances the contrast in the wood colour and enriches the tones. This is further enhanced by subsequent coats, and working up a really nice finish.

Hi Calv,

What Aragorn said.

Just to make sure that you will get the finish you want, if you have any doubts, it's always a good idea to try a test piece on an offcut first.

Cheers,

Trev.

Hello Calv

What the others have said are right on.
Also if you want to get a sneak peek, you can apply paint thinner or mineral spirits to the surface. This will show the grain and also any imperfections ie sanding marks, etc.
Travis

Back