Bringing goods from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sploo you say, Tomato we say Tomato
I say tomato... Dominic Cummings says "Boris, call them funny coloured foreign invaders, and I'll use Cambridge Analytica to flood Facebook with posts from turnips complaining that the tomatoes are coming here from the EU and stealing our jobs".

*cough* Anyway, I've got to nip off to see Barnard Castle.

The point is we weren't constrained by the EU over this or many other things. So far there are no examples of benefits from our regained "sovereignty"

Except that you didn't need to defend any exceptions and hesitate to step forward with approving the vaccine early and distributing it far faster than the EU, and since you're in it, you haven't had to field any of those obnoxious snooty comments about hoarding it and keeping it away from other member states.

It's only life or death in some cases here, so no big deal, right?

I say tomato... Dominic Cummings says "Boris, call them funny coloured foreign invaders, and I'll use Cambridge Analytica to flood Facebook with posts from turnips complaining that the tomatoes are coming here from the EU and stealing our jobs".

*cough* Anyway, I've got to nip off to see Barnard Castle.

Oh dear, I thought my post sort of said lets agree to disagree and call it a day on that. Looks like you really have got your knickers in a twist, still as I always say, there is nothing in this world which can't be resolved by having a vent on a woodwork forum.

Oh dear, I thought my post sort of said lets agree to disagree and call it a day on that. Looks like you really have got your knickers in a twist, still as I always say, there is nothing in this world which can't be resolved by having a vent on a woodwork forum.
Damn straight DrBob Mumsnet is far far too vicious!

edit typo

Last edited:
No, it’s a contractual issue between AZ and the EU. AZ cannot deliver according to the contract.
PS- got links to EU threats to Germany? Haven’t seen mention of that.
You obviously didn't hear the German MEP on the radio this morning saying how the EU would make things difficult for the UK.

edit - Sorry, I misread that. It was said on the radio this morning that Germany and the Netherlands (and France, iirc) were told by the EU that there would be court cases against them as the EU had decided to negotiate en bloc. They had initially attempted to buy at the about the same time as the UK. (It was on a predominantly right wing radio station, though, so undoubtely a lie.:))

Last edited:
Nah. It's my eyesight in a twist; that's why I'm sending this message whilst driving to a castle.

(I'm not actually driving whilst sending messages - just in case someone doesn't get the joke)

But Droogs is right; stay off Mumsnet; it's feral.

Which is what the UK voted to stay in, and if it were we would undoubtedly have voted to stay in it. The referendum should have been held before Maastricht. We know why it wasn't, of course - the government would have had to have given out truthful information and thus knew a referendum would have come up with the wrong answer.
Um. Phil, I'm not sure you can say that's how a referendum works in the UK unless you don't look at buses much.

I mean, over here in Ireland, every EU treaty required a referendum and there's a body provided for in law called the Referendum Commission who must distribute to every voter a pamphlet explaining the vote, what each alternative means and they are required by law to not distribute biased or false infomation, so you get things like this:
https://www.refcom.ie/previous-refe...-2009/Referendum-Lisbon-treaty-2009-guide.pdfhttps://www.refcom.ie/previous-refe...erendum-Lisbon-treaty-2009-extended-guide.pdf
It's expensive to do, it's hard work, and it's absolutely vital and the UK doesn't do it at all.

And just to depress you further, even when we do it, we still make shameful decisions like the referendum on birthright citizenship which we have been trying to fix for over a decade since, so even when you give people an official vetted source of independent unbiased information they will often ignore it in favor of their own whims. For example:

Because of brexit, you're getting the vaccine far sooner than you would have through the EU distribution channels and red tape.

I mean, this is false. It's demonstrably false, it's known widely to be false. The fact that the approval of the vaccine happened before the end of the transition period - in other words, while the UK was still operating under EU law and before brexit had taken effect - shows that it's false. The statement has no merit at all, it's indefensible on every level. And yet DW believes it despite all the facts and evidence against it.

When that's widespread and you run a referendum, you're not going to get a decision based on facts, you're basically holding an advertising duel.

It's not a great way to govern a society.

Tesla is out because they're not union, is the only auto maker in the US with any real growth potential
Okay, my inner engineer can't let that slide without pointing out that Tesla are all sizzle, no steak and if you want to know how good they are, look at the average time to fix one in the US.
If you want an electric car, said the guy with the electronic engineering degree, buy something like a Nissan Leaf.

As detailed by the link I posted earlier (Vaccine approval isn’t quicker because of Brexit) we were not constrained. Pertinent quote:

"...since 2012, the UK’s Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has been free, under regulation 174, to give temporary approval to an unlicensed medicinal product in the case of certain types of public health threat, such as a pandemic.

When the MHRA approved the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine for use in the UK on 2 December, the government press release accompanying this announcement made clear that approval was given under regulation 174.

The government has previously said that “if a suitable Covid-19 vaccine candidate, with strong supporting evidence of safety, quality and effectiveness from clinical trials becomes available before the end of the transition period, EU legislation which we have implemented via regulation 174 of the Human Medicines Regulations allows the MHRA to temporarily authorise the supply of a medicine or vaccine, based on public health need."
this is accurate Sploo, but it does miss one important factor in as far as Brexit has allowed the government to dodge the discussion on how a global pandemic requires a global solution.

For the time being the EU have avoided entering into an international trade war on vaccine supply, but there is no escaping the fact that getting vaccine to those in most need will at some point require people in richer countries to accept their vaccines will be delayed because of the greater need elsewhere.

EU member states can't avoid this discussion for long but our hard won victory of becoming a minor player on the world stage means we can watch from the sidelines. A brexit dividend?

If you want an electric car, said the guy with the electronic engineering degree, buy something like a Nissan Leaf.

The model 3 is an honest viable car. The nissan leaf here in the states is a no-go due to short range and no thermal management. If we were stuck with the leaf instead of the model 3, we would still be listening to short rage comments. The first leaf here that quoted 130 miles range had 70, and then folks who live in cold weather areas have battery life problems.

To call the leaf steak and the tesla sizzle is like calling steak sizzle and veggie burgers steak.

You were still a member of the EU technically, do you really think the EU was operating with the UK the same way it would have without imminent exit in the near future? That's naive.

this is accurate Sploo, but it does miss one important factor in as far as Brexit has allowed the government to dodge the discussion on how a global pandemic requires a global solution.

For the time being the EU have avoided entering into an international trade war on vaccine supply, but there is no escaping the fact that getting vaccine to those in most need will at some point require people in richer countries to accept their vaccines will be delayed because of the greater need elsewhere.

EU member states can't avoid this discussion for long but our hard won victory of becoming a minor player on the world stage means we can watch from the sidelines. A brexit dividend?

You vaccinate your entire population or as many as will tolerate it. That's the solution. It doesn't require a global government, it requires vaccines. Slowing yours down to the pace of someone else's isn't helping the problem just because it's consensus.

After much thought I've spotted a brexit dividend!!
If you are a lobster or a shellfish that is - exports have ground to a halt and their lives have been prolonged! That should bring a smile to their little faces!
They'll be in really good nick if they can fatten up through the summer.
The scots should eat more of them instead of deep fried mars bars and haggis.

2c157285751441ab6e2fe56e81ce457b.jpg

When that's widespread and you run a referendum, you're not going to get a decision based on facts, you're basically holding an advertising duel
Wise words.

The Leave campaign was built on emotive slogans......it's quite easy to sell "the grass is greener"

The Remain campaign had an altogether more difficult job: try selling the benefits of the Single Market.....it's pretty hard to sell the benefits of something the public don't even know it is a benefit.

There are even business owners that export to Europe and have been horrified to discover their business has ground to a halt.

..."

The Remain campaign had an altogether more difficult job: try selling the benefits of the Single Market.....it's pretty hard to sell the benefits of something the public don't even know it is a benefit.
They failed to promote EU from the start, even though the benefits were obvious to every import/exporter, every user of imported goods (nearly all of us), every employer/employee looking for work/workers further afield, every foreign holiday maker, every retiree abroad, nearly every Irish person north or south, every exchange student, every organisation joint effort over research, crime, whatever....and so on, and on!
It could have won the election for Labour had they not sat on the fence so feebly and allowed twerps like Farage to get away with it.
The yanks are free of Trump, just 4 years of insanity, we will have the legacy of Farage for years to come.

Well, that's a new low in debating techniques.
You haven't read all my posts have you :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: trawl back you'll find lower.
I've never been so offended

Z0oDbak.jpg

The great thing is John, I can laugh at myself, I know what I am. I don't take myself too seriously and you won't offend or upset me, or stop me. To be honest posts like yours rather tickle me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back