Bringing goods from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why you should have this problem. I have just taken delivery of a watch from a business in Spain. Other than extra VAT etc no drama whatsoever. Surely the responsibility lies with the seller, they shouldn't have sold you it if they can't ship it.
It's a big fat "it depends". If the item was over £135 then the rules are different, and if it were shipped by one of the larger courier firms (who are set up for processing VAT and import fees) then it should (probably) be OK. Smaller firms, and items under £135, present a more complex problem (though at least part of that is due to the new VAT rules, which isn't related to Brexit).

I wonder what the customs arrangements would be if you took over some Vaccine with you? I bet you wouldn't have any problems then.
That would depend on whether you're planning on bringing the vaccines back with you (Carnet de Passage) or whether you're shipping them for sale (export/import paperwork + VAT). Additional paperwork required either way (vs no Brexit).

Might be more interesting to ask the average German how they feel about paying for their neighbours new found prosperity, particularly following our departure when they and other net contributors will be paying considerably more.
At the same time you could ask them what they think of these other countries keeping the value of the euro down so german exports are cheaper, keeping manufacturing in germany.

That would depend on whether you're planning on bringing the vaccines back with you (Carnet de Passage) or whether you're shipping them for sale (export/import paperwork + VAT). Additional paperwork required either way (vs no Brexit).

Wooooooshh!

Wooooooshh!
No whoooosh; I know what you were trying to imply, but the reality is that just because something is important (and wanted by the EU from the UK), it's unlikely everyone's going to just drop all the rules - especially on something as safety critical as medical products.

Based on my wife's experience of working as a doctor in the US, that is chillingly closer to the truth than many in the UK would probably imagine.

A quick trip to A&E in the States cost me $3,000. First thing they asked me for when I got to the hospital? My name. Then my credit card details.

They didn’t ask me for money to get into the ambulance though but it wasn’t cheap

Heaven forbid that democracy should extend to giving the bunch of thickies that are the British public the right to vote on such important issues. Far better to have not allowed such foolishness. You fetch the rope and I'll go find Cameron.
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal. -Emma Goldman

In fairness haven't we been able to avoid getting caught up by red tape to get out of the blocks quickly securing and administering vaccinations?

Your point about Cornwall is a key one. The same thing applied in Sunderland where only time will tell how car manufacturing fares and I am pretty sure South Wales which has received masses of EU funding. How people voted came down to how they felt which can override logic. The negotiating stance has reflected this - logically when we want free access to the EU for trade why would we expect them to say okay keep all the fish but it became a major sticking point to avoid a narrative in the press that said we'd caved in.

I voted to remain and still wish we had but think we need to just get on with it. I expect many of the downsides will get blurred by the pandemic but the sun still comes up in the morning and I would argue still have more going for the UK than against it.

Cheers
With regard to vaccinations, the approval, advance purchasing and commencement of vaccinations all occurred prior to Jan 2021, whilst we were still following EU rules so I think it made no difference.

With regard to vaccinations, the approval, advance purchasing and commencement of vaccinations all occurred prior to Jan 2021, whilst we were still following EU rules so I think it made no difference.
We were but we were not a party to the central purchasing initiative taken by the EU

In the old days you went to your local Chamber of Commerce, left a hefty cheque as a returnable security and they gave you a multi-page document called a 'Carnet de Passage' upon which you listed everything you were taking with you - electronic demo equipment worth several thousand pounds in my case. You then stood in line with all the lorry drivers at each country exit and entry point and got a Customs stamp to prove that you were entering and leaving with said goods. Two queues per border crossing. On your return, you went back to the Chamber of Commerce and, provided all your Customs stamps were in order, and all the i's were dotted and the t's crossed, they gave your cheque back.

The international commercial traveller community all did a communal dance when we joined the EEC and didn't have to do that for travel on the continent any more. Presumably you have to again now. Ah well, that's progress...
Quoting myself....

On reflection, my addled old brain is telling me the appropriate document in AWAC's case is the ATA Carnet rather than the Carnet de Passage.

ATA Carnets are for temporary imports of goods such as commercial samples or tools and are used worldwide (with a few exceptions); the Carnet de Passage is for temporary imports of high value goods such as cars, broadcast equipment etc, into a smaller subset of countries, mostly third world.

Heaven forbid that democracy should extend to giving the bunch of thickies that are the British public the right to vote on such important issues. Far better to have not allowed such foolishness. You fetch the rope and I'll go find Cameron.
JRM freely acknowledged that if another vote was taken, remain would win, and that's why it wasn't going to happen. How is that democratic?
And for what it's worth, I expect there were "thickies" on both sides. My problem has always been the lies told by the Brexitters. I've heard it said that there were lies on both sides, but I've not seen many details. I saw a lot of people saying "project fear", that's about it.

I've heard it said that there were lies on both sides, but I've not seen many details. I saw a lot of people saying "project fear", that's about it.

There will be a 2 year recession losing 800,000jobs in 2016 /2017 /2018, growth -6%. From george Osbourne.
If you look for it, it's all there. Try google.

One big issue with brexit is yet to come; that is how brexit voters are going to face the fact that it was all a dreadful mistake.
Many are saying it already.
Johnson and co will blame all and sundry for the failings.
Just have to hope the disappointed don't get too angry and take to the streets.
I do not think that the vast majority of brexiteers have changed their minds. The demographics mean that more people who voted leave have died compared to those who voted remain.

The other issue is that there appear to be more barriers to trade between NI and the rest of UK than between NI and Eire. We seem to be pushing NI in the direction of Eire. Then there is Scotland which could leave the UK and join EU, I have no idea how a border with Scotland in the EU would work. Both scenarios would swing the balance away from rejoining as Scotland and NI have a majority of remain voters.

Another issue is that we would not rejoin on anything like the terms we had as a member. How many people who voted for remain would be happy rejoining the EU, adopting the Euro and the inevitable closer political union that this requires. Or rejoining with some lesser status, outside the euro but with less say in the rules, effectively becoming a vassal state to the EU.

Perhaps in ten years time we will look at it again, see where we are and where the EU is.

Personally I would vote for rejoining now on the same terms as we left but that will not be on offer, I am not so sure about rejoining on the terms I have outlined above, I would have to decide at the time, assuming I am still here.

It is very emotive, even on here you are getting comments suggesting you are on drugs, I do wish people would be polite and respectful of other opinions.

There will be a 2 year recession losing 800,000jobs in 2016 /2017 /2018, growth -6%. From george Osbourne.
If you look for it, it's all there. Try google.
Those look like predictions to me, rather than outright lies.
As I'm sure you know, Bob, you can find pretty much anything if you Google hard enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back