Bringing goods from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone answer a question for me? Bringing goods to the EU and back again.I know it is the wrong way and back for this thread but...

What happens if I want to take a boot, er trailer load of MY tools to my project (and I mean project!) barn in France, then come back with MY tools to UK? Will I have to prove they are mine? Do I have to draw up an itemised list for customs? When I travel tool light it looks like I am on my way to a tool fair....

You have to be able to prove ownership and when each item was purchased if you want to have any chance of avoiding import tax. i had to do it a few years ago coming back from Switzerland. it was a nightmare to do

Can anyone answer a question for me? Bringing goods to the EU and back again.I know it is the wrong way and back for this thread but...

What happens if I want to take a boot, er trailer load of MY tools to my project (and I mean project!) barn in France, then come back with MY tools to UK? Will I have to prove they are mine? Do I have to draw up an itemised list for customs? When I travel tool light it looks like I am on my way to a tool fair....
In the old days you went to your local Chamber of Commerce, left a hefty cheque as a returnable security and they gave you a multi-page document called a 'Carnet de Passage' upon which you listed everything you were taking with you - electronic demo equipment worth several thousand pounds in my case. You then stood in line with all the lorry drivers at each country exit and entry point and got a Customs stamp to prove that you were entering and leaving with said goods. Two queues per border crossing. On your return, you went back to the Chamber of Commerce and, provided all your Customs stamps were in order, and all the i's were dotted and the t's crossed, they gave your cheque back.

The international commercial traveller community all did a communal dance when we joined the EEC and didn't have to do that for travel on the continent any more. Presumably you have to again now. Ah well, that's progress...

Last edited:
In the old days you went to your local Chamber of Commerce, left a hefty cheque as a returnable security and they gave you a multi-page document called a 'Carnet de Passage' upon which you listed everything you were taking with you - electronic demo equipment worth several thousand pounds in my case. You then stood in line with all the lorry drivers at each country exit and entry point and got a Customs stamp to prove that you were entering and leaving with said goods. Two queues per border crossing. On your return, you went back to the Chamber of Commerce and, provided all your Customs stamps were in order, and all the i's were dotted and the t's crossed, they gave your cheque back.

The international commercial traveller community all did a communal dance when we joined the EEC and didn't have to do that for travel on the continent any more. Presumably you have to again now. Ah well, that's progress...
I have those same memories, and I was afraid this might be the answer....sigh.

You have to be able to prove ownership and when each item was purchased if you want to have any chance of avoiding import tax. i had to do it a few years ago coming back from Switzerland. it was a nightmare to do

Jeez Droogs. I can feel the blood draining from my wallet, I am spread between two countries, tools, motorbikes, shop power tools, hydraulic presses etc.....well isn't brexit wonderful.

Just try to make sure you have paperwork showing when you got it and It need to be over a certain age if I remember rightly to be nulled
but i would recomend contactng customs to see what the script is. Hopefully you'll be ok

Sorry, I haven't been paying proper attention here... Has anyone listed the benefits of Boris' Brexit? Apart from the happy fish twaddle?
Oh and on the fish twaddle. I heard on the radio that they keep saying the EU have given back 25% of their fishing rights, but that the UK government failed to mention the EU have 30%, so 25% of 30% is in fact er, 8.3%....but at least they are happy British fish.....JRM. What a 🐂🚽. I couldn't find anything ruder, but I think you get the point....

Oh! I forgot the "sovereignty". The right to be told what to do by Boris, Gove, Patel etc. We live in confusing times, when Cornwall, one of the poorest regions in northern Europe, and one of the biggest recipients of EU cash, votes overwhelmingly to saw off the branch it's sitting on. We should have granted independence for Kernow years ago. I expect it's too late now.
On the other hand, I do like that Mena Dhu...

Sorry, I haven't been paying proper attention here... Has anyone listed the benefits of Boris' Brexit? Apart from the happy fish twaddle?

See below, a full and comprehensive list I’ve managed to put together of the many benefits:

Er, no. Exact opposite, actually. I honestly think Britain is going to be f**ked so badly by BREXIT that it will serve as a warning to all the other *Exiters, but I don't want to spark a war on here because there is a significant number of members who think the exact opposite.

That is probably the whole reason why the negotiation needed to be so tough. This was not only about Brexit, it needed to (and will) set an example of what will happen when people leave.

I have just looked at this thread for the first time as I have shipping issue, however, this is from the UK to Switzerland (not EU). I bought a small item at auction at the start of the week (pocket watch). I have been trying to find a carrier to pack and ship the thing for me. Most are not interested (refusing even to make an offer because of the Brexit situation). It seems the issue at the UK border goes beyond the Brexit change!

I would guess you would face the same problem as musicians and businesses travelling to set up exhibitions.

It probably needs a carnet.

I wonder what the customs arrangements would be if you took over some Vaccine with you? I bet you wouldn't have any problems then.

Oh and on the fish twaddle. I heard on the radio that they keep saying the EU have given back 25% of their fishing rights, but that the UK government failed to mention the EU have 30%, so 25% of 30% is in fact er, 8.3%....but at least they are happy British fish.....JRM. What a 🐂🚽. I couldn't find anything ruder, but I think you get the point....

Yes the UK gets an increase of 25% of fish quota in iUK waters.

But UK fisherman lose some quotas in EU water access.

And the UK does not automatically get back all its quotas in 5 years time.....in 5 years negotiations start again.

The UK spends substantially less on health than all other G7 members except 1. However, the percentage of that spend that is publicly funded (i.e. the NHS) is one of the highest in the world. In other words, to have a truly great health service, we need to pay more. But other countries have individuals pay that rather than the state. So - either raise taxes, have people buy private healthcare insurance or stop complaining about the service we get.

I am sure there are efficiencies that can be made, but I doubt they add up to more than 10% and to get a top quality health service will need more than 10%.
Hear hear. I think this goes back to Will Self's observation regarding getting the politicians you deserve. If we want the NHS to go back to its original principle, the best care available no matter what ails you, this is going to cost a LOT more money. None of them really want to take the plunge and tell us how much extra we would have to pay. Personally I think it is too important an issue to be left entirely to politicians. It could be run by a board comprising representatives of all the interested parties, chosen from within their own ranks. This should include politicians from the major parties. This body would decide what needed to be done, and present the bill to the incumbent government. As it is each new government introduces sweeping reforms. These are often I'll conceived, and in any case take so long to implement that they are still in progress when the next lot come along and decide to do something completely different. The result is an organisation in a permanent state of flux.

Oh! I forgot the "sovereignty". The right to be told what to do by Boris, Gove, Patel etc. We live in confusing times, when Cornwall, one of the poorest regions in northern Europe, and one of the biggest recipients of EU cash, votes overwhelmingly to saw off the branch it's sitting on. We should have granted independence for Kernow years ago. I expect it's too late now.
On the other hand, I do like that Mena Dhu...

In fairness haven't we been able to avoid getting caught up by red tape to get out of the blocks quickly securing and administering vaccinations?

Your point about Cornwall is a key one. The same thing applied in Sunderland where only time will tell how car manufacturing fares and I am pretty sure South Wales which has received masses of EU funding. How people voted came down to how they felt which can override logic. The negotiating stance has reflected this - logically when we want free access to the EU for trade why would we expect them to say okay keep all the fish but it became a major sticking point to avoid a narrative in the press that said we'd caved in.

I voted to remain and still wish we had but think we need to just get on with it. I expect many of the downsides will get blurred by the pandemic but the sun still comes up in the morning and I would argue still have more going for the UK than against it.

Cheers

I have just looked at this thread for the first time as I have shipping issue, however, this is from the UK to Switzerland (not EU). I bought a small item at auction at the start of the week (pocket watch). I have been trying to find a carrier to pack and ship the thing for me. Most are not interested (refusing even to make an offer because of the Brexit situation). It seems the issue at the UK border goes beyond the Brexit change!
Not sure why you should have this problem. I have just taken delivery of a watch from a business in Spain. Other than extra VAT etc no drama whatsoever. Surely the responsibility lies with the seller, they shouldn't have sold you it if they can't ship it.

One big issue with brexit is yet to come; that is how brexit voters are going to face the fact that it was all a dreadful mistake.
Many are saying it already.
Johnson and co will blame all and sundry for the failings.
Just have to hope the disappointed don't get too angry and take to the streets.
Heaven forbid that democracy should extend to giving the bunch of thickies that are the British public the right to vote on such important issues. Far better to have not allowed such foolishness. You fetch the rope and I'll go find Cameron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back