Bringing goods from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear, oh dear... where to start.

1. Brexit is done. The deal has been cut. Let's get over whether that is good or bad and hold the victors to account. They said it would all be great.
2. Bild Zeitung - it means "Picture Paper". It is somewhere between the Sun and the Sunday Sport. Hardly the equivalent of the Daily Telegraph.
3. " However the reality is that the vast majority of the countries in the world are not members of the EU, and, shock horror, don't appear to be destitute as a result, so the idea that we have somehow cast ourselves into the wilderness is just nonsense ". There are 171 countries in the world. Libya and Armenia are the mid point and the average Brit has 15 times the wealth they have. The EU countries are basically in the top 30 and once you get out of the top 40, we have around 10 times the average wealth per inhabitant. So the majority of the world does appear to be nearly destitute...

1. Brexit is done. The deal has been cut. Let's get over whether that is good or bad and hold the victors to account. They said it would all be great.
2. Bild Zeitung - it means "Picture Paper". It is somewhere between the Sun and the Sunday Sport. Hardly the equivalent of the Daily Telegraph.
3. " However the reality is that the vast majority of the countries in the world are not members of the EU, and, shock horror, don't appear to be destitute as a result, so the idea that we have somehow cast ourselves into the wilderness is just nonsense ". There are 171 countries in the world. Libya and Armenia are the mid point and the average Brit has 15 times the wealth they have. The EU countries are basically in the top 30 and once you get out of the top 40, we have around 10 times the average wealth per inhabitant. So the majority of the world does appear to be nearly destitute...
Ok, both probably a bit OTT. The point I am making is that some In the remain camp would have had us believe that if we left we would somehow be unable to survive on our own, and would all be down to bread and water, which is a bit daft.

Attachments

• 80263252-2433-4724-853F-16A85276963F.png
    80263252-2433-4724-853F-16A85276963F.png
    231.5 KB · Views: 18
...... the idea that we have somehow cast ourselves into the wilderness is just nonsense ......
Not what anybody is saying.
But it would be interesting to hear of a good reason for having deliberately made our trading relationship with our greatest and nearest export/import market, so much more difficult. It seems nobody can think of anything.

Ok, both probably a bit OTT. The point I am making is that some In the remain camp would have had us believe that if we left we would somehow be unable to survive on our own, and would all be down to bread and water, which is a bit daft.
Not entirely daft - there are difficulties already, there will be shortages and businesses will be folding.
What is really daft is that anybody believed anything Johnson said e.g. "oven ready deal" etc etc

Which makes not the slightest difference to the quote.

No - but it does make a substantial impact on the likelihood of good journalism being employed in how the quote was edited and presented. Or maybe you think news media present news without any cultural or political bias.

Not what anybody is saying.
But it would be interesting to hear of a good reason for having deliberately made our trading relationship with our greatest and nearest export/import market, so much more difficult. It seems nobody can think of anything.

Just to be clear, you are quoting me quoting someone else. Those aren't my words or my viewpoint.

No - but it does make a substantial impact on the likelihood of good journalism being employed in how the quote was edited and presented. Or maybe you think news media present news without any cultural or political bias.
I did say all newspapers are biased. Bias makes no difference to a quote - it's either a quote or it's not. I wouldn't expect a pro EU paper to publish the the quote, anyway. They don't like to admit openly what the intentions for the EU are - they still like to portray it as a happy little trading area, when it has been intended to be a political entity since The Treaty of Rome.

Not entirely daft - there are difficulties already, there will be shortages and businesses will be folding.
What is really daft is that anybody believed anything Johnson said e.g. "oven ready deal" etc etc
Or the numbers on the bus. Or Osbourne and co telling us that if we even voted to leave, much less actually did it, there would be an overnight economic melt down and the need to have an immediate emergency budget to control the resulting chaos. Both sides told some real whoppers throughout the campaign. But they are politicians, sadly lying comes as naturally to most of them as breathing.

Or the numbers on the bus. Or Osbourne and co telling us that if we even voted to leave, much less actually did it, there would be an overnight economic melt down and the need to have an immediate emergency budget to control the resulting chaos. Both sides told some real whoppers throughout the campaign. But they are politicians, sadly lying comes as naturally to most of them as breathing.

Sterling dropped by 8.4% the day after the Brexit vote the biggest single day fall for a major currency since the Second World War.

I firmly believe that all countries should retain their independence.
Sir, it appears you are posting this from the "United Kingdom"? This entity appears to comprise four separate yet not independent countries with a central government that isn't even in three of the countries...
...despite Scotland's thoughts on the matter :D

Mind you, the way things are going, it's not an EU presidency you'd need to worry about but a Chinese general secretariat...

nb. I may be slightly salty because along with Tunnocks Teacakes and Twinings tea going up in price even before Tunnocks or Twinings have a say in things, I am unable to get tuffsaws bandsaw blades any more at all (Ian told me he just isn't shipping due to the VAT), and houseofwood bowl blanks are going to jump so much in price from the customs and shipping that I may actually wind up seeing my timber stock decrease which is, as you can imagine, making my fingernails itch.

Sterling dropped by 8.4% the day after the Brexit vote the biggest single day fall for a major currency since the Second World War.

That should make your services and businesses more attractive to currency from other countries.

Unless you manage to hamstring businesses with unnecessary costs and regulations to make them non-competitive, anyway.

That should make your services and businesses more attractive to currency from other countries

It's not quite as simple as that.

Most businesses need imported supplies.

Sadly the UK now has to contend with costly non tariff barriers to access its biggest trade partner....which are indeed making it less competitive.

OMG now we're quoting the Daily Mail as a source of indisputable fact, really??
Have to say I'm with Margot from the good life on that one.

Hardly, but the fact that they had a leader at the time of the 1975 referendum arguing that the ever closer union was nothing to be scared of is clear historical evidence that the discussion and vote at that time was not in respect of a vanilla free trade area as commonly claimed by brexity types.

the likes of Marie Le Penn, right wing nationalists. They have made it very clear that they would seek to leave, so I wouldn't be so sure.

Le Pen has dropped that, having seen the balls up that Brexit is. Now all the talk is of reform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back